We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tournament of Kings or Medieval Times?

Werribee, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Tournament of Kings or Medieval Times?

Hi

We are looking at Tournament of Kings at Excalibur or Medival Times at Buena Park during our trip in May.

Just wondering how similar these two shows are?

Has anyone been to both and if so would they recommend one over the other?

(We are 2 adults and 2 children aged 11 &9)

Colorado Springs...
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tournament of Kings or Medieval Times?

I've only been to Tournament of Kings, and I'd recommend it with kids that age. My older kids (13 and 12) really enjoyed it. The food is fine, nothing exciting, but certainly edible. Sorry I can't help with a comparison of the two.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,849 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tournament of Kings or Medieval Times?

I assume you know Buena Park, CA ( Medieval Times) is a four hour drive from Las Vegas- and that you are planning to consider Medieval Times if you go to Los Angeles as part of your trip. Posters on the Los Angeles Forum can probably tell you more about that one- but the Medieval Times here in FL is very much like the attraction described at Excalibur- forgettable food, but a fun night for kids.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tournament of Kings or Medieval Times?

I've only done Medieval Times, which the family and I enjoyed. From everything I've read, Tournament of Kings is VERY similar. I would pick whichever one that best fits into your plans. BTW, your kids are going to love it!

Edited: 23 March 2012, 13:48
Trenton, Michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tournament of Kings or Medieval Times?

Tournament of Kings is pretty good, especially if you have kids. A bit cheesy but in good fun. Better than expected food, actually. We picked up tickets at the last minute for it and while it wasn't the most memorable moment on the strip, it filled a couple hours and we don't regret going.

5. Re: Tournament of Kings or Medieval Times?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 March 2012, 14:12
Middletown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
102 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tournament of Kings or Medieval Times?

TOK IMO is better. ITs more of a story and action involved. MT is more of a horse and pony show, literally. I think that MT is better for kids but TOK is an all around better show and can be enjoyed by all. TOK is my pick

Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tournament of Kings or Medieval Times?

I've done both and enjoyed both. I would give the edge to TOK. If you are going to L.A., there is already more than enough things to do there with your kids.

Huzzah!

Edited: 23 March 2012, 14:52
Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
972 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tournament of Kings or Medieval Times?

I've been to the Medieval Times in Buena Park and ToK. I liked Medieval Times more, big part of it being that you were actually allowed to take pictures. It was also my first time at a show like that, so maybe the initial impression it gave me was stronger and I was more jaded when we went to ToK. There is a cool torture museum (I use that term lightly, lol, I just like looking at historical recreation stuff) at Medieval Times too.

If you aren't planning to actually visit California as part of the trip, however, it's not worth driving down there just for Medieval Times. They're very similar, I think aside from the picture thing the main difference was there was more trick riding and stuff like that at Medieval Times. As someone else said, ToK has more of a storyline.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tournament of Kings or Medieval Times?

I have also done both (went to Medieval Times in Dallas). I thought the actual Tournament of Kings Show was better, but, the food was much better at the Medieval Times.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tournament of Kings or Medieval Times?

Have done both, since I live not very far from Buena Park, and I have to give the edge to TOK just a bit for its story...you dont go to things like these for the food...lol. It's passable, and okay, but not the best you can have int he city of course. If you do plan to visit Southern California, there are far better things to visit with kids here. I'd skip Medieval Times and check out Tournament of Kings when in Vegas.