We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon trip.

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
belbox09
Level Contributor
34 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon trip.

Hello Travelers. I have heard that the west rim is not great and the skywalk over priced for what it is. Can anyone tell me where the best views are? I've heard the south rim is amazing, how far is that in miles from Vegas and would I need a 4 x 4 once I'm off the main roads, much thanks.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon trip.

The views you see in pictures, and what make the Grand Canyon the Grand Canyon are in the Grand Canyon National Park. Roughly a 5 hour drive from Vegas. Mostly highway, then paved roads. No 4x4 needed.

If you aren't up for the full trip to the Grand Canyon, there is wonderful desert scenery much closer to Vegas.

Douglas, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon trip.

GCNP and back in one day is a long trip but do-able. If you can overnight it takes the pressure off the driver. Lodging in the park would be best but these book up quick. Plenty of hotels in towns near by.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon trip.

Most people would agree that the best views are found on the South Rim- not the West Rim. You will not need a 4x4 at the South Rim- the roads are paved. From what I understand, the roads are kind of rough at the West Rim and the car rental agencies' insurance may not cover driving on them. I am sure someone else can clarify that.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,822 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon trip.

Read the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page.

Yes, you want to go to the South Rim aka Grand Canyon National Park. It's about 300 miles from LV and the drive will take most of 5 hours. It's all highway and you can use any traditional vehicle. There are no shortcuts. If you get off the pavement you're going the wrong way and headed for trouble.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon trip.

As the rest have said, the South Rim, Grand Canyon National Park is where you want to head. It takes us 5 hours, including a stop for dinner in Kingman.

You could do a day trip, but that would be a long day. Plus you want to be able to see the sunrise, so best to stay over night.

My suggestion is pick up rental car in the morning. Head to GCNP by 8:00. You will be at the Canyon by 1:00. Explore the park, check into hotel, see the sunset, have a nice dinner. Up early to see the sunrise, hike abit. Check out of hotel at 11:00 am. You could explore a little more or head back to Vegas. If you leave after check out youwill be back by 4:00

Edited: 24 March 2012, 18:06
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,822 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon trip.

If you want to spend a night at one of the lodges inside the park, book it RIGHT NOW.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

If the website shows no rooms available, and it might because the park lodges book a year in advance, call Xanterra at 888-297-2757.

If still nothing available, book a room in the town of Tusayan, just outside the park entrance.

7. Re: Grand Canyon trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 10:16