We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA to Vegas and Vegas to Grand Canyon - roads?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South East, England
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
LA to Vegas and Vegas to Grand Canyon - roads?

Hi

Was wondering which routes do we take from Vegas to Grand Canyon which would include Route 66?

We are planning on doing a day trip - I hear South Rim is further though? Would it be worth just going to the West?

Also if we are travelling to Vegas from LA and vice versa - what route would we take? Thank you...

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA to Vegas and Vegas to Grand Canyon - roads?

If you are doing a daytrip to the Grand Canyon figure on five hours each way, plus time at the canyon. Its best to stay overnight to see sunset and sunrise.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

West Rim is expensive. Figure on $100 per person to see the Skywalk. The Grand Canyon at the south rim is $25 per carload, good for seven days.

If you want to see Route 66 from Kingman to Seligman it takes an hour longer to get to the canyon versus taking the interstate, so figure 6 hours of driving, on either the way there or return.

The route from Vegas is Hwy 93 to Kingman,to Interstate 40 east ,to Hwy 64 into the park.The R66 option takes you from Kingman to Seligman where you get back on Interstate 40.

Pics of the route.

https:/…

Vegas to LA is Interstate 15 to Interstate 10, then on to where ever you are going. LA is huge.

Edited: 26 March 2012, 19:34
1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,143 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA to Vegas and Vegas to Grand Canyon - roads?

Imagine that Leeds renamed itself Northern London, and then people started asking if it was worth going all the way to London to see the sights when Northern London is so much closer.

The West Rim is a vast inferior view than the actual Grand Canyon. It's pretty desert scenery, but there is pretty desert scenery closer to Vegas.

For Vegas to LA, just get on the highway and go. For Vegas to the Grand Canyon, you can detour off one section to say you've driven on Rt 66, but given the extra driving I wouldn't do it on a day trip.

South East, England
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA to Vegas and Vegas to Grand Canyon - roads?

Oh - such a shame - have read some posts where people have done the route 66 bit and then back from GC on the same day - maybe just higway all the way back?

Sorry - just haven't been to Vegas or LA before - so know I'm generalising a lot and really have no clue how to get to these places! Always wanted to do route 66 - so would we get off hghway 93 to get onto route 66 and then back on again to get to GC - sorry!!!

We are staying near LAX in LA - wouldn't be able to stay overnight at GC as all hotels etc booked for LA and Vegas already!

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: LA to Vegas and Vegas to Grand Canyon - roads?

http://g.co/maps/sbydw

Google maps directions to Kingman, route66 to Seligman and to GCNP.

I wouldn't do it as return a day trip, your looking at 10 hours just driving time without the sightseeing, via route 66 . Why not just accept the lost hotel night in LV, and stay at South Rim?

South East, England
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA to Vegas and Vegas to Grand Canyon - roads?

Thanks for the map and directions - great

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA to Vegas and Vegas to Grand Canyon - roads?

From L.A. to L.V., there's a 35-mile stretch of Old Route 66 between Victorville, known as National Trails Highway. It was the main highway before Interstate 15 bypassed it in the late '60s. It's actually just a few miles further distance-wise than taking the interstate but it's a well-maintained two-lane road and fun to drive.

The road starts at the north end of Victorville at the D St./Hwy. 18 exit. At the bottom of the offramp, turn left. This is National Trails Highway/Old Route 66. One of the main lines for both Santa Fe Railroad and Union Pacific Railroad coming out of Los Angeles parallels this road. You'll also parallel the Mojave River and go through the small towns of Oro Grande (pronounced Oro Grand), Helendale, Hodge and Lenwood before coming out on Main Street in Barstow.

Because of the Mojave River, there's water here, and so a lot of alfalfa is grown in this valley.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,463 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LA to Vegas and Vegas to Grand Canyon - roads?

Great, Big Dog, you've now spread far and wide one of my several detours. I have a bunch of them for avoiding accidents and traffic jams and road construction. When there was an ongoing construction project, old Rte 66 was one of my weekly detours. I got off the I-15 at Lenwood and got back on in Victorville. You can maintain a decent speed on this road.

(Very few people want to drive through the old salt flats when I-15 is blocked, but when there was a traffic fatality, this was another detour! But the "roads" were unpaved and it was hard to maintain a 20 mph speed!)

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LA to Vegas and Vegas to Grand Canyon - roads?

<<have read some posts where people have done the route 66 bit and then back from GC on the same day>> Sure, people have done it - and enjoyed it. But to visit the South Rim and do the Route 66 detour, you're looking at at least 11 hours on the road in one day (taking R66 adds at least 1 hour to the normal drive time of 4.5-5 hours).

A better quality experience really is to spend a night in or around the park. If you're locked into your LA and Vegas hotels, and cannot cancel one night, you might do as Valiantson suggests and "accept a lost hotel night" and take an inexpensive room in Williams AZ, which is just 1 hour South of the park (then 3.5-4 hours back to Las Vegas) and typically offers room rates under $100/night. Here's more info ->: http://bit.ly/zotgfk

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,530 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LA to Vegas and Vegas to Grand Canyon - roads?

Enliven,

You may want to rethink staying by the Airport when visiting LA, it is NOT recommended to stay near LAX, there is nothing around that area at all from what i understand, and it is not a convenient base for visiting LA. (Unless you are just staying near there for 1 night or something to catch a flight somewhere else)

Consider posting in the Los Angeles forum to get some help with accomodations in that area.

10. Re: LA to Vegas and Vegas to Grand Canyon - roads?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2013, 10:24