We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hoover dam tours

England
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
265 reviews
Save Topic
hoover dam tours

Could anyone reccomend a hoover dam tour company that they have used that was good (and reputable).

I would like a bus tour only. One that visits the dam for a couple of hours and then comes back to Vegas (hotel drop off and pick up). I don't particularly want one that visits other places too as the day I want to go I have other things booked for the evening.

Thanks for any ideas.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hoover dam tours

bumping for info...

please

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hoover dam tours

The actual tours that you take at the dam are performed by USBR guides so the quality of what you'll get once you're there is going to the same irrespective of what company you use or if you make your own way there. If you're looking for a reputable company then Gray Line has been in the business for years or if you want something a little more fun and personal, Pink Jeep may be a good choice.

…coachamerica.com/graylinelasvegas/…1037

pinkjeeptours.com/las-vegas/…

But renting a car for the day and heading there yourself would be my recommendation especially if time is limited. That way you can dictate your own schedule rather than being at the mercy of a tour that will pick up and drop off at hotels other than your own. It will also very possibly cost you less.

Edited: 27 March 2012, 01:41
Minnesota City...
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hoover dam tours

We rented a car when we went recently and took the full dam tour. We got a cheap rental..like $20 (booked online about 6 weeks prior) from Dollar, which we picked up @ dropped off @ TI. You're then on your own watch, which is nice.

We then spent the afternoon at the Hacienda playing $2 double deck blackjack all afternoon.

Def, the way to go@!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hoover dam tours

We booked through this website and did this tour last Tuesday. They provided hotel drop of and pick up, for the most part just did the dam. There was a 20 minute tourist trap stop on the way back at the Ethel M. Chocolate factory (pretty short though).

http://hooverdamtourcompany.com/express.html

I've rented a car and done it myself before too -- that was about 10 years ago (my last Vegas trip that was more than 24 hours till last week) and it was pretty straight forward and easy to do that.

This time we opted to do the bus tour to get a some extra comentary on the ride there and back which we enjoyed (History of Hoover Dam, where various Vegas stars live, tidbits about Steve Wnn (our guide used to bus tables with him at the Golden Nugget) and a really interesting documentary about the History of Las Vegas on the return trip. We also enjoyed seeing some of the non mid strip resorts some of the other guest were droped off at also. Even this mini trip though meant leaving our hotel at 9 and not getting back till 3:30 p.m.

If that's too much time, doing it on your own would be less of a time commitment. If you would prefer a bus trip, this would be one possible option (not right or wrong answer) -- just whichever fits more into what you'd like to do.

5. Re: hoover dam tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2013, 09:17