We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ear Planes - Do they work?

McDonald
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Topic
Ear Planes - Do they work?

Has anyone used these and if so do they work? I am trying to get away from using Afrin which I can't stand the after-effects.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,547 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,005 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
347 reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
101 replies to this topic
Rancho Cucamonga
Level Contributor
9,677 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ear Planes - Do they work?

I use earplanes all the time. Mostly for work. I do find though the jet lag to get tiresome. But I call them Airplane. All kidding aside, they've worjed for me and no side effects.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ear Planes - Do they work?

Absolutely: I use them all the time: Exactly know what you mean with Afrin: For me they work like a charm: After two uses though, you should buy new ones: That is what is says on the package: Just saying.

Houston
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ear Planes - Do they work?

I really want to try these. I have really bad ear pain when I fly and would love to be able to solve this problem.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ear Planes - Do they work?

I always use ear plugs. Get them at your drug store,They have a picture of a airplane on the box.All so chew gum going up and down.Old trick was to ask 4

2 coffee cups put a tissue in each 1, wet them with hot water they use 4 tea,and cover each ear.You may look stupid but it really works.

McDonald
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ear Planes - Do they work?

More questions - We have one stop each way. Since you can only use these twice, do I put them in at the beginning of the flight, take them out and then put them in again for descent? Or, leave them in the whole time? Then do I need another set for the second flight? The first will be about 1 hr. 45 min, the second flight will be about 4 hrs. I read the package but still am not clear on these questions. Just am not sure how many sets to buy. Thanks for the responses.

Leicester, UK
Level Contributor
614 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ear Planes - Do they work?

Don't worry about only using them twice. They are good for a few flights. Just keep them in the sealed container between uses.

I use them on ascending, take them out at full altitude. Put them back in just before we start to descend.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ear Planes - Do they work?

Tubbs is right .Use a little alcohol to clean and put back in container.Then drink a bottle of scotch. works 4 me??????????????

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
717 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ear Planes - Do they work?

You can use these multiple times - I regularly use them for 4 or 5 roundtrip flights (even with multiple stops). Just clean them with those handy antibacterial wipes. They work great for me. I can tell the INSTANT the plane starts it's decent and I stick them in immediately! I put them in for take off and landing only and take them out in between. I still need to GENTLY pop my ears while using them (hold nose closed and "blow" GENTLY to get ears to pop.)

Good luck, I hope they will help you!

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ear Planes - Do they work?

Hi:

I use Earplanes for every flight, as I have had perforations and they work like a charm! I put them in when boarding, take them out at altitude, so I can watch a movie and listen to my Ipod, and put them in again just before descent, and I have never had a problem.

Arlene

Argyle, Texas
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ear Planes - Do they work?

"2 coffee cups put a tissue in each 1, wet them with hot water they use 4 tea,and cover each ear.You may look stupid but it really works."

As crazy as this sounds - it works like a charm (except in my case, the Flight Attendant gave me plastic cups with warm wetted paper towels in the bottoms. It helps to equalize the pressure in your head. I had to do this on a flight into London if I'm not mistaken. I have a perforated ear drum and there is a certain altitude planes LOVE to cruise at during descent that ALWAYS has me howling in pain, if nothing else I have tried works, then I ring for the FA and ask for the cups... better to be able to hear when we land and not have tears streaming down my face...

Reply to: Ear Planes - Do they work?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted