We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

McCarren at 6am Sunday Memorial Weekend?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,908 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
McCarren at 6am Sunday Memorial Weekend?

How busy will McCarren airport be at 6am on the Sunday (May 27) of Memorial Day weekend? Since its the middle of a long weekend, I'm guessing it'll be slow??

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: McCarren at 6am Sunday Memorial Weekend?

My guess is also that it will be slow. Almost no arrivals to hotels on that day.

Burbank
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: McCarren at 6am Sunday Memorial Weekend?

Crystal ball broken, Magic 8 Ball dry, Ouija board in the attic.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,908 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: McCarren at 6am Sunday Memorial Weekend?

Nightdrive: based on past experiences it shouldn't be very difficult to predict. Thanks for your useless post.

San Antonio, Tx
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: McCarren at 6am Sunday Memorial Weekend?

If your "past experiences" had already given you the answer, why did you ask the question? Lighten up and get a sense of humor.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: McCarren at 6am Sunday Memorial Weekend?

You've asked a couple of times previously what time you should be at the airport for your flight or similar and received good advice so I'm not exactly certain what the point of this question is.

Get there in good time as you've been advised. If it's busy then so be it, if not then again so be it. Not something to even give a second thought to ahead of getting to the airport.

Edited: 06 April 2012, 20:55
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,908 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: McCarren at 6am Sunday Memorial Weekend?

blagger, my previous questions were in regards to a Sunday in general, not specifically Memorial Day weekend Sunday.

Mike, I'm asking for others past experiences...I've never experienced leaving on that exact Sunday...

I'm trying to find a balance between maximizing sleep for my GF, while still getting to the airport on time.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
66 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: McCarren at 6am Sunday Memorial Weekend?

It wasn't busy at all this past Sunday morning at 9:30 am

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: McCarren at 6am Sunday Memorial Weekend?

I spent the night at McCarren once, although it was not on a holiday weekend.

So, a lot of people probably don't know this, but the airport closes at night, and reopens in the early morning hours, like 3:30 or 4 (when it's "closed" ticketed passengers -- i.e. passengers who were there in time for their flights the night before, but left behind by bad airlines like America West, who close their gate way too early -- that are already there are allowed to wander about, but the police will ask to see your ticket, if no ticket, they arrest you. Craziest thing ever. I slept between those history of aviation displays in the middle area). Anyway...

For early flights people will start to wander in when the airport opens, but its pretty lethargic. It was a weekday, so it started to pick up for business travel around 7:30, but it was still not busy by any means until closer to 9.

I assume it would be much slower on a Sunday of a holiday weekend.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,393 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: McCarren at 6am Sunday Memorial Weekend?

"but left behind by bad airlines like America West, who close their gate way too early "

Close their gates?? Hell, they closed the whole airline! :)

America West hasn't existed since something like 2005....

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: McCarren at 6am Sunday Memorial Weekend?

Irish, yeah... it was right before they went under.