We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

have you done the west rim? Was it good?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
south east england
Level Contributor
303 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
have you done the west rim? Was it good?

All I ever hear is people raving about how you should only do the SOUTH RIM of Grand Canyon and how inferior the West Rim is but there are so many trips to West Rim and I think they sound fantastic so if you have taken a trip there how was it? I am posting this on LV forum instead of Grand Canyon as more people from LV will have done the West Rim tour I think

Edited: 09 April 2012, 22:34
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: have you done the west rim? Was it good?

I'll stay out of it if you do, Wheatie!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: have you done the west rim? Was it good?

I went to both on a trip in 2009.

The west was poor in comparison to the south. The south is an area of real natrual beauty and well worth the extra 2-3 hours of travelling time.

The west is a nothing more than contrived tourist attraction.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,332 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: have you done the west rim? Was it good?

If you have ever been to both the South rim at the National Park and the West rim on tribal land,you will understand why some people say West rim is inferior. The views and landscapes are completely different.

They are in two different areas of the Grand Canyon.

The South rim is in the National Park, at an elevation of 7000 feet.It is surrounded by miles of forests of pine trees.The canyon is very deep and wide, and extremely colorful in that area.You know, like you have seen in pictures and movies all your life.

Grand Canyon West is about 4500 feet and sits miles and miles downriver, at a point where the canyon is not as deep, not as wide, and definitely not as colorful.Think dull browns, compared to vibrant red and orange.

The reason you see so many tours to GCW is because it is close to Las Vegas,and can be visited in a short amount of time, compared to the time you need to invest to visit the South rim. It's a fact, most people visiting Vegas just don't want to spend the time to get to the National Park. It cuts into their Vegas time.

A daytrip to the National Park, is not the best way to see the canyon either.You need to spend a night to see the canyon at its best, at sunset and sunrise.That is when the colors are most vivid.

I went to GCW in 2007, a few days after the Skywalk opened. I waited a long time during all the construction delays and really wanted to see this glass bridge that hung 4000 feet over the Colorado River.

It was a big disappointment to me when I got there to see the Skywalk, and found it was built off a side canyon, nowhere near the river(its off in the distance) and nowhere near 4000 feet off the ground. It sits just a few hundred feet straight off the ground.

Once you get to GCW,unless you pay for extras like boat rides, helicopter rides or Hummer rides,there is not much to do out there. Think of it as an amusement park.

If you drive out there it will cost you about $100 per person to walk on the Skywalk once all the fees are paid.

You can get a carload of people into the Grand Canyon National Park for $25, and that is good for a week.

Edited: 09 April 2012, 23:40
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: have you done the west rim? Was it good?

Well...I am only reponding because I think dez40's eyewitness reponse trump's anyone elses couldabeenwouldabeenshouldabeenresponse!!...right, LDN?...also,kudos to maxwell79.

That's what we want to see here....actual!!!!! experience.

Thank you both.

I know it has helped me as re: future choices.!!!

This should be pinned for future reference.

Anyone reading??

z

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: have you done the west rim? Was it good?

The issue isn't whether or not the West Rim is "good". The issue is whether or not there are vastly better alternatives.

Sure the West Rim is pretty desert scenery. But there is pretty desert scenery much closer to Vegas. Why go all the way to the West Rim and deal with all the hassle the Tribes through at you? The only reason people do it is they think they are seeing the Grand Canyon, and have been told it's a "must see."

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: have you done the west rim? Was it good?

itchyfeet......DO come back and say how this has helped you, if at all.

z

Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
5,926 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: have you done the west rim? Was it good?

Didn't have to say a word, did I?

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: have you done the west rim? Was it good?

Grand Canyon West is an inferior experience to the Grand Canyon National Park. I've been to both, multiple times. And I still would visit the South Rim over and over again to experience it more than GCW.

In my two visits to GCW ( once in 2007 by helicopter tour and once more in 2009 by a Hummer tour) I saw that the place is indeed not as big and colorful as the National Park, the Vegas based businessman who is building this whole Skywalk thing and employing the Hualapai tribe to run this theme park is laughing to the bank daily 'cause of his profits, the road leading to it is still not in good shape, and well, when the Skywalk won't allow your own camera to be on it and there's much better views to be had elsewhere on the GCW site, that's bad...

The South Rim, the National Park, is much more bigger and more colorful. Its easy to reach from Vegas, even when it does take longer than the "Titanic" movie to drive to it from LV, and that $25 admission fee per vehicle is a much better value than the shuttle fee n parking dee at GCW, which is just the start of the fleecing adventure there.

So that is why I always recommend visitors to visit the South Rim over GCW even if for a day...its better. Bigger. Brighter. I've been to both and I can assure you that is true :)

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: have you done the west rim? Was it good?

If you're from the UK and unfamiliar with canyon scenery then a trip to Grand Canyon West (its marketing men invented the name "West Rim" to make it sound like a more convincing component of the canyon) will probably be pretty memorable. But please don't be suckered in. You're traveling thousands of miles to see one of the world's natural wonders so head to Grand Canyon National Parl and see it in all its majesty. Treat GC as a destination in its own right requiring an overnight stay rather than something to see on a Vegas trip and you'll be heading in the right direction.

And really your question should have been aimed at people who have visited both Grand Canyon West and the national park. Many GCW visitors have a good time but have no comprehension of just how inferior what they've seen and experienced actually is.

Edited: 10 April 2012, 07:50
Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: have you done the west rim? Was it good?

I have been to both and much prefered the South Rim. When I went to the South Rim I traveled just with my husband . The west rim we did as a family , the teens liked the wagon rides, mixing with the Indians ect.

I would not turn my nose up at either, but unless time and money are an issue ,GO SOUTH MY FRIEND!!!!