We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you look for in a TR?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Frankfort, Indiana
Level Contributor
835 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What do you look for in a TR?

All of us that like trip reports have our favorite TR authors, but what stands out about their trip reports that others don't have?

For instance, do they have a gift for writing? Do they seem to have strange luck at everything, not even just gambling stuff? Are they funny? Do their TRs include funny side stories? Do they go into great detail or give just enough information to get the point across and move on?

Personally, I like TRs to begin with a little back story about why the trip was planned. We don't need a reason to go, but it can give a general idea of how the person likes to do Vegas to decide if I want to continue on or not. After that, I like to hear about the drive to the airport and maybe a short bit about the flight itself, or the drive to Vegas if that's how you get there. I like to hear how quick or slow check in was. I also like to hear about people's favorite games, whether it be a table game or slots. I really love a TR from people that do Vegas in a similar was as me because it's easier for me to relate to the author in those.

Some things I dislike. While I like to hear about good food, I don't really need a description of every bite. No offence to those that do it, but I'm just a very picky eater so most of your descriptions don't do me much good. That's pretty much all I can think of me disliking and it's more because of how I am, not the author's fault.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
13,559 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you look for in a TR?

Paragraphs and at least a passing attempt at spelling and grammar.

Frankfort, Indiana
Level Contributor
835 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you look for in a TR?

Dave, you said that and I had to do a quick check of my own post to see if I did anything stupid lol

Texas
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you look for in a TR?

I enjoy almost all of the TRs I read here --- except maybe the ones whose entire vacation seems dominated by coupons and groupons.

(I think I enjoy the Brits TRs best of all...great sense of humor and great insights on Las Vegas)

Kent, Washington
Level Contributor
874 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you look for in a TR?

Information, more than anything else. Where did you eat, for instance, that you liked (or didn't). What did you have...what did it cost (or so).

Paragraphs and punctuation are nice, too.

Shag Harbour, Canada
Level Contributor
5,281 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you look for in a TR?

I wanna hear about all the drankin, gamblin, nudity, vomiting, etc.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you look for in a TR?

Short and sharp. I don't need to know who said what to who.

Eating. Drinking. Gambling. That's all I'm after!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
949 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you look for in a TR?

Whatever gets my Vegas juices flowing. Also paragraphs are nice.

Frankfort, Indiana
Level Contributor
835 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you look for in a TR?

Oh I forgot to mention one thing I like. I like it when posts are by day or half a day if it's too long more than I like the ones that post the whole trip in one post, unless it's a shorter trip. I say this that way I can take off in the middle of a TR if I need to, for work for instance, and not worry too much about losing my spot. I just make a note of the post # in my head or elsewhere and continue when I get back.

yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you look for in a TR?

I think all the TRs are worth reading - it takes time to write one and even if the person does Vegas differently than how I do it's still an interesting perspective to read.

My favorite TRs are ones with a little humor. I also really appreciate paragraphs. ;)

Frankfort, Indiana
Level Contributor
835 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you look for in a TR?

Yourstarla, I agree completely. I just said I can relate better if it's one where the person does Vegas in a similar way as I do. I can visualize better because more than likely, I've already experienced it unless it's a new place :)