We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It Pays To Take Action - Airfare$$$

Plymouth, PA
Level Contributor
833 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
It Pays To Take Action - Airfare$$$

So, we are planning a trip to vegas for early Oct 2012.

I am checking airfares for both our local airport and PHL.

I checked United/Continental - Ridiculous Price + Bag Fee's.

Southwest has the best fare by $100 - Plus no bag fees.

So, just for the heck of it - I shoot off a fast email to United.

I ask them why I should pay them almost $100 more Plus bag fees.

I point out the flight times are very similar.

They respond by sending me a coupon/voucher for $150 off our next reservation!!!

This coupon/voucher will enable us to fly from our local airport as opposed to PHL - for about the same price as Southwest from PHL.

That means no 2 + hour drive down & back to PHL - No gas $$ - No Toll $$ - No pre-trip Hotel $$ - No 2+ hour drive through PHL back home...

Very Nice!

I am glad I took the time to email them.

Ted G

PS - You should do the same...

Edited: 14 May 2012, 01:06
Stony Plain, Canada
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: It Pays To Take Action - Airfare$$$

Good job Ted. Wished that worked in Canada.

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It Pays To Take Action - Airfare$$$

Gee great job! but after two holidays were ruined by United i'll never fly with them again even if I got the flight for free!

Plymouth, PA
Level Contributor
833 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It Pays To Take Action - Airfare$$$

For a 5 minute investment - it does not hurt to try...

Washington State
Level Contributor
852 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: It Pays To Take Action - Airfare$$$

Good going!

Cheers!

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: It Pays To Take Action - Airfare$$$

Wasn't Ted owned by United?

Level Contributor
3,524 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It Pays To Take Action - Airfare$$$

Last fall I had to fly a week after knee surgery. I made arrangements with a Delta rep over the phone to get assigned bulkhead seats as I could not bend my knee. He happily assigned me the seats I needed. 24 hours ahead of time, I printed out my boarding passes which had these seats listed. At the airport getting ready to board with my boarding pass in hand, the gate agent hands me a different boarding pass with a seat in the back of the plane. She claimed that she gave my seats away to a family that wanted to sit together (and did not book far enough in advance to secure seats next to each other). I protested, but she was unwilling to change the seats back and said that if I did not get on the plane then, that I would not be allowed to. Since this was for my kids hockey tournament, I could not carry on and risk him missing it.

On the plane, I was unable to sit in the seat they changed me to. The flight attendants were kind and let me sit in one of their jump seats in the back. When I got home, I contacted Delta and explained everything. They refunded my purchase and also gave me enough of a flight credit to pay for a seat on my last trip to Vegas.

Long winded story short - it never hurts to call them up and state your case.

Mentioned in this post
Stony Plain, Canada
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: It Pays To Take Action - Airfare$$$

16 gauge - that type of situation also happened to my son who has had a severe leg injury. He was flying from Toronto to Santiago, Chile and pre-booked and paid for the upgrade. When waiting at the Toronto airport they called him up and told him that a family travelling to Chile wanted to sit together and tried to make him give up his seat. He said - "Sure - am I going to first class or business". They said -"we can't do that".

He went beserk on them, offered to show them his mangled leg and letter from his doctor. They backed right off. He got his seat and all was well. Ticks me off when people want to kick you out of a good seat. If they want to sit together, then book it and PAY for it and don't expect last minute deals at the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,295 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: It Pays To Take Action - Airfare$$$

"He said - "Sure - am I going to first class or business". They said -"we can't do that"."

If he had paid for an upgrade already, wasn't he already IN first or business class???

Stony Plain, Canada
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: It Pays To Take Action - Airfare$$$

No - he was in an exit aisle seat that has about 3 feet of leg room so that he could extend his leg and exercise it.

10. Re: It Pays To Take Action - Airfare$$$

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:15