We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To lock or not to lock (luggage)..

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mass
Level Contributor
278 posts
Save Topic
To lock or not to lock (luggage)..

...that is the question. I'm not so much worried about someone going through my things (I put all valuables in my carry-on), as I am about my belongings spraying out on the luggage carriage :-) I have 2 connections each way, so my suitcases will be moved around a lot. Is it worth buying a TSA approved lock, or not?

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: To lock or not to lock (luggage)..

I wouldn't worry about it personally. If you are worried about your suitcase opening accidentally buy one of those straps that you can put all the way around the suitcase. It doesn't have a lock so TSA can search the suitcase if they need to.

Mass
Level Contributor
278 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: To lock or not to lock (luggage)..

Thanks, good idea!

Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To lock or not to lock (luggage)..

We always use zip ties, they keep the zippers closed, are cheap, and easy to cute cut if TSA wants to inspect. Just remember to pack a set of nail clippers in the front of your bag so you can cut them off when you arrive.

Toronto
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: To lock or not to lock (luggage)..

You are not allowed to lock luggage that is being checked because of new security at the airport

Mass
Level Contributor
278 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: To lock or not to lock (luggage)..

Thanks for the nail clipper tip. I'll go ahead and purchase some of these instead of the TSA locks. They're probably cheaper too :)

FREDERICKSBURG,TX
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: To lock or not to lock (luggage)..

A Belt around the suitcase.

a strong rubber band thru the zipper eyes.

Ohio
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To lock or not to lock (luggage)..

If you put locks on it, the bad guys may think its worth looking inside. and I do not mean the tsa, they leave a note that they were inside touching your personals.

Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To lock or not to lock (luggage)..

Yep, much cheaper! Plus, sometimes your TSA approved lock will get cut anyhow which would really stink.

Lincs UK
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: To lock or not to lock (luggage)..

Love them notes, from UK always get them I have tried locked they cut my padlock and unlocked they cut my ties. I guess they just like me or my luggage always take double + days of panties, last year I left them a thank you letter in my case, got the usual we have searched your case and handwritten on the notice a special warm welcome to the USA.

This year was thinking flowers. May be dead though when they open my case.

Lowestoft, Suffolk
Level Contributor
131 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To lock or not to lock (luggage)..

They normally ask you at check in to unlock your suitcase if it's locked. Mine get searched every single time I go anywhere! Maybe it's something to do with being foreign (English)? Who knows?! I'd definately never lock my case-I'd expect it smashed when I saw it again