We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Bus to Fremont Question

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Another Bus to Fremont Question

Just to follow on from a previous question I saw posted.

We are planning on heading downtown from NYNY when we are in Vegas at the begining of September. I've just read about getting the bus. But, I was thinking that maybe the bus could be a bit of nightmare with the heat and the strip traffic?

So, as an alternative, would anyone recommend getting the monorail down to say the Sahara station and then getting the bus from there?

If it helps, we plan to go in the afternoon, perhaps on the Sunday!

Thanks in advance!

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All American Helicopter...
6,721 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$494.95
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,104 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Deluxe Grand Canyon All American...
511 reviews
from US$426.99*
US$527.50
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Grand Canyon Skywalk...
403 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
NC
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Bus to Fremont Question

I wouldn't do it ever. First you're going to have to walk to MGM to get to the monorail station, then the cost to ride it is per person. Leaving from MGM you will stop at every station along the way to the Sahara. Then you'll have to get off and walk to the bus stop. And pay again. Just get a cab from NYNY, especially if it's more than just you. No big savings in cost much less all the work involved by taking the mono and bus.

Level Contributor
3,511 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Bus to Fremont Question

From NYNY, your best (fastest and least expensive) route would be the WAX. It will pick you up on Tropicana, right next to NYNY. Fare is $2 each way. From there, it hops on the highway to downtown. 2 or 3 stops later, you are at Fremont street (4th and Carson stop). Total time - @ 15 minutes or less. No travel on LVB on this route.

rtcsouthernnevada.com/transit/…29.pdf

Edited: 30 May 2012, 17:02
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
137 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Bus to Fremont Question

Unless you already have a monorail pass, I wouldn't advise it. The bus really doesn't take too long, especially on a Sunday afternoon, and it's not worth the extra cost to pay for both in my opinion.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Bus to Fremont Question

I'll second 16's answer. After that you have cab or SDX bus. Don't bother with Monorail. Buses have AC, btw. They can warm up a little when full, but nothing like being out in the heat.

Level Contributor
3,511 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Bus to Fremont Question

The WAX is a "residential route". I have used it from the airport to/from downtown in the past. Bus was never more than 1/2 full. Though called a "residential" route, it still is mostly tourists (at least on the segment of the route that you would use). Also, if you have a 24 or 72 hour all access bus pass, it will work on this route as well.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Bus to Fremont Question

Thanks to all who responded.

We will get the wax.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Bus to Fremont Question

In fact, I may as well ask.

When I get on the bus to go into Manchester, I simply say, "single/return to Manchester please". Is is the same for the buses in the US. Get on, "Return to Fremont please"?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
639 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Bus to Fremont Question

You have to buy the pass at a kiosk, there are a few different options but easy enough to figure out. The SDX is basically on the honor system, you hold onto your ticket and show it to the inspector if he comes around.

I don't think the monorail idea would save time at all if you factor in the pretty long walk from NYNY to the station behind MGM.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Bus to Fremont Question

In American English, single/return = one-way/round-trip. But city buses in Vegas don't have round-trip tickets.

You would either ask for one-way, or for a 24-hour pass. Rates are subject to change, but are currently $2 one-way or $5 for the 24-hour pass. These can be bought from the bus driver.

If you also want to take the Deuce or SDX. those are $7 for the 24-hour pass (the Deuce/SDX 24-hour pass is good on all buses, the $5 WAX pass cannot be used on the Deuce/SDX.) You can buy passes directly from the Duece drivers. SDX passes must be bought ahead of time from the vending machine. There's a vending machine at the SDX stop in front of MGM (or Excalibur).

The drivers of the local buses (including WAX) are usually very friendly and helpful.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Bus to Fremont Question

Brilliant! That's a lot!