We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to play Let it Ride?

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
How to play Let it Ride?

where can I find a very easy explanation of the game?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How to play Let it Ride?

Wizard of Odds has a decent description. However, a quick rundown:

You place three bets at or above the table minimum. If you're at a $5 table, that's three $5 bets. You'll receive three cards, as will everyone at the table, and the dealer will get two cards face down. If you don't have a decent three card hand, you can pull a bet back; if you have a pair or another good hand, you can leave your bet present. The dealer will flip one card face up; now, you'll have four cards (your three plus one dealer card). You can pull back another bet or leave your bets present. Finally, the dealer flips a second card, and if you have a 5-card paying hand, you'll win per bet still on the table.

Generally, you'll only want to keep your bet if you're dealt a pair, three to a straight, or three to a flush. Once the dealer shows one card, you'll either want a pair, four to a straight, or four to a flush. Once the dealer shows the fifth card... you hope to have a paying hand.

As an example, if you're dealt 2s7dQh, you'd pull back your first bet, as you have nothing usable at all. If the dealer card is a Qd, you'd keep your second bet, as you now have a paying hand, and you'd win at least on two high pairs.

If you're dealt 2sQdQh, you'd keep all three bets up, as you have a dealt winning hand.

If you're dealt 2s2hQh, you'd be best off holding the pair of 2's. If the dealer's first card isn't a 2, you'd be best pulling back your 2nd bet, as it's less likely that you have a paying hand.

Edited: 01 June 2012, 04:48
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,983 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to play Let it Ride?

You get paid on a pair of 10's or better combining your hand with the dealer's.

There are also 2 bonus bet circles which many will tell you are sucker bets but many will tell you it is where they make all their money, your choice.

Cottage Grove...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to play Let it Ride?

Could someone go a little further and tell me the etiquette of playing. I played 2 hands at the Mirage a few months ago, and had a dealer who wasn't thrilled to have a "newbie", so I left. I understand the strategy.

How do I indicate that I want to pull my bet. I believe when I wanted to stay that had me lay my cards down - but what if I kept my first bet in play, but wanted to pull my second (I tend to go against the rules and go for flushes). I'd like to try it again in September.

I really like www.let-it-ride-online.com for practice (thanks derfzus).

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
12,037 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to play Let it Ride?

Josie.......You just scratch your cards on the table to indicate you want to pull a bet. If you want to keep your first bet out there with the option to maybe pull your second bet, you just wave off the first bet (like you are standing in blackjack) but you still hold on to your cards. Once you are sure you want to keep your bet(s) out there, you slide your cards under your third bet. (Of course, you have to do this anyway after you have pulled your first and second bets)

I also agree with the practice site you posted. That is a great way to practice and learn. I use it quite a bit myself.

new york
Level Contributor
775 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to play Let it Ride?

Tell the dealer that wasn't thrilled with a newbie at a LIR table to kiss your butt.

I hit 4 kings and won $1500 the veey first time i ever played LIR. Just to show how rare that is, that happened 8 years ago and has never happened again. LIR is a good way to " fill in" between other things ; but for me i can only play for an hour at a time or I get bored although it is a really fun community game.

Cottage Grove...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to play Let it Ride?

Thanks Rhinoman.

Luvtotravel08 - I let dealers intimidate me - I shouldn't. She just didn't make me feel comfortable. I'm much more comfortable with impersonal slot machines.

If only they had slot machines that let you play Let It Ride :)

Edited: 01 June 2012, 12:39
Zionsville, Indiana
Level Contributor
438 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to play Let it Ride?

Wizard of Odds is a great resource, as pointed out earlier.

Typically I'll only play with pocket 10's or better, then chase open ended straights or flush draws for the last bet. I don't know if I agree about keeping the first bet with any pair, I'm sure the Wizard of Odds site has some good mathematical odds on what the correct play is.

If you hit your pocket 10's or better, you can simply tuck your cards under your bets and that indicates to the dealer you're staying the entire way.

kansas
Level Contributor
976 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to play Let it Ride?

They do have LIR slot machines. Look for the video poker machines that have blackjack and other options--sometimes Let it ride is an option--you don't have the chance to make the side bets on these machines though. I can't remember the name of them.

I have found some that are pretty cheap to play which is a great way to spend some time without spending a lot of money!

NC
Level Contributor
532 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to play Let it Ride?

Jarodmom is absolutely correct - there are some LIR poker machines here and there. I seem to recall playing on one at NYNY and once at Bellagio. However, I think the machines were fairly old, and did not have all of the table-game features such as the 3-card bonus bet.

Also, while it certainly is possible to get some nice payoffs in LIR, you should be prepared to lose a LOT of hands in between the paying ones. Its not terribly uncommon to go for 6, 7, 8 or more hands with no wins.

Kitchener Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to play Let it Ride?

Let it Ride is a fun game very easy to learn if you understand poker. However since I am a theorist I believe the "automatic shuffling system" is no better then slot machines. Now if the game was dealt by hand and shuffled by hand I would love it.