We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All cabbies aren't the same

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Reno
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
All cabbies aren't the same

Reading some comments on cabbies reminded me of a trip from the Rio to the airport last March. Waiting for the next cab in line, the attendant whistled, then yelled for her. Then he ran over and banged on the hood. She finally pulled up, got out, and walked to the back. Forgot to release the trunk lid, so she went back and hit the button. It has never occured to me who is supposed to load our bags, but she just stood there, so he did it.

As we pulled out, she immediately turned up the afro-talk station. I asked her to turn it down, but she didn't respond. I didn't push it any further, since I didn't know what she might do, and I didn't want to risk any delay.

Got to the airport, and once again she popped open the trunk and just stood there. I took my bags out and gave her a $20 for a $16 fare. Just told her to keep it. Didn't even thank me.

Like gambling, you never know what you'll get.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All cabbies aren't the same

Yep

Boston
Level Contributor
24,580 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All cabbies aren't the same

She sounds like a piece of crap.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All cabbies aren't the same

Afro-talk?

Daydream Island...
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All cabbies aren't the same

any dialect of english is better than none.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,941 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All cabbies aren't the same

shoulda gave her a bag of dimes and said nothing....

Texas
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: All cabbies aren't the same

like a box of chocolates Wolfdog

LOL any dialect of English

I remember us having super friendly cab drivers our first couple of trips to Las Vegas. Not anymore. I don't know where they find these humans...surly, suspicious, complaining. Hell...might as well have my mother-in-law driving.

Edited: 05 June 2012, 20:29
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,941 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All cabbies aren't the same

we got a cab a few times, and i always speak to them cos i suppose 11 and a half hrs shift can be brain numbing, i like to ask them things, just to be sociable, some speak, some dont, but manners cost nothing...

Buda, Texas
Level Contributor
150 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All cabbies aren't the same

What kind of radio station is afro-talk? Is it about hairstyles?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: All cabbies aren't the same

I had a cabbie that wanted to talk politics and i said I was not interested. He got mad and said I was one of those and went on and on and on and then I started to giggle and he was more agitated and asked if I thought It was funny.....yea it was but didn't have the nerve to say it to him at that time since I didn't know how he would react and asked to be let out....

Pearl City, Hawaii
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: All cabbies aren't the same

Afro-talk must be like those jive brothers from the movie Airplane.

Lay 'em down and smack 'em yack 'em!