We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it a good idea to drive from LA to Grand Canyon?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Is it a good idea to drive from LA to Grand Canyon?

Hi everyone,

We are planning to rent a car to go on a road trip from LA to Grand Canyon end of July. Is this a good idea? We feel that tours from LA might be a bit rush and not enough time given to us to enjoy Grand Canyon. Do car rental place rent to us to drive so far? Most people discussed Grand Canyon trips from Las Vegas, but for us, Vegas is optional and our priority is Grand Canyon. Just need validation and hear from anyone before we decide what's the best way to go to Grand Canyon. Also, any good decent hotels suggestions? Thank you!

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it a good idea to drive from LA to Grand Canyon?

You might be better off asking this question in the LA or GC forum. Only you can decide if it's a good idea. I'm not a big drive all over the place on vacation person so to me it does not sound like a good idea yet others like to tour on vacation so to them it would be great. Not a ton of hotel options at the GC. Best bet would be to stay in the hotel on the rim. I think it's called El Tovar but I could be wrong. If your planning on going this summer it's probably too late to get a reservation there.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,828 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it a good idea to drive from LA to Grand Canyon?

It's a long drive from LA to GCNP, around 8 hrs, so I would suggest you need to stay at least 2 nights at GCNP to make it worthwhile.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it a good idea to drive from LA to Grand Canyon?

Am I missing something here ? 8 hours drive from LA; 4 hours drive from Vegas. You are from NY ? Why wouldn't you just fly into Vegas instead of LA ?

Will you be travelling on dirt roads at GC ?

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g143028-c67963/Gra…

I was advised to be aware of the "off road" policy of car rental companies, and that they had hidden GPS transponders (in case of insurance claims) so that they could tell where you'd been. Could be just an urban myth.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it a good idea to drive from LA to Grand Canyon?

Of course you can drive from LA to Grand Canyon. The real Grand Canyon you want to visit is the South rim which is much further. Just make sure your rental allows you to drive out of state.

Due to the long distance you might want to share the driving or stay overnight in a hotel en-route.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it a good idea to drive from LA to Grand Canyon?

Well, I will be in LA for a few days, so thought of going to GC before heading back to NY.

Edited: 06 June 2012, 23:51
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it a good idea to drive from LA to Grand Canyon?

Yes, will definitely stay overnight....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it a good idea to drive from LA to Grand Canyon?

Yes, that's what I would do if I decide to drive there.

8. Re: Is it a good idea to drive from LA to Grand Canyon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 15:42