We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las vegas to Grand Canyon South Rim Bus tour

USA
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Las vegas to Grand Canyon South Rim Bus tour

Which tour company is the best for a day tour of the south rim from Las vegas? Can anybody recommend a company? I'm looking at Grand Canyon Tour Company and Las Vegas Grand Canyon Tours - are these companies reliable? I have a late night flight to cathch and was wondering what time do they usually come back. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Las vegas to Grand Canyon South Rim Bus tour

The bus tour company that consistently gets the best reviews is Grand Adventures.

http://www.grand-adventures.com/

I wouldn't personally take a day trip to GC on the day you have a late flight out of LAS - too much could potentially go wrong causing untold problems.

USA
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Las vegas to Grand Canyon South Rim Bus tour

I know it's not a good idea to catch a flight on the same night! But , it's a choice between seeing the grand canyon and not seeing it at all! It's about taking a risk! hopefully it'll be worth it! Thanks a lot for your input... really appreciate it.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las vegas to Grand Canyon South Rim Bus tour

Have you ever considered taking a helicopter ride over the canyon? We just did this through Maverick Helicopters, bus picks you up at your hotel, drives you to helicopter pad (very close to the strip) and you board with only up to 8 others. You are directly flown to destination and land onto the bottom of the Grand Canyon where you get out, enjoy a glass of champane & donunts. You will only be here for approx. l/2 hr. get back into helicopter for a quick fly over another area of canyon then touch down again to refuel then its back into the helicopter to head home. Easy 5 hours from start to finish. I must admit its very expensive but well worth the money, go for it if you can. I found it amazing even though it was a short trip, still very much worth it time wise. Good luck with whatever you choose! Have fun.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,242 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las vegas to Grand Canyon South Rim Bus tour

The OP stated a desire to go to the GCNP south rim. Helicopters that fly out of LV don't go there.

Your helicopter flight was fun and a thrill, no doubt. But you have yet to see the real Grand Canyon. No one 'lands at the bottom' there.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las vegas to Grand Canyon South Rim Bus tour

"But you have yet to see the real Grand Canyon. No one 'lands at the bottom' there."

RedRox is of course using hyperbole. It's true that helicopters don't fly from Las Vegas to the South Rim. They fly to an area generally called the West Rim -- which is indeed part of the Grand Canyon. By all accounts, the West Rim isn't as scenic as the South Rim -- but the West Rim is the only location where you may take a helicopter that lands at the bottom of the canyon.

USA
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Las vegas to Grand Canyon South Rim Bus tour

Thank you guys for all your suggestions - very informative! The helicopter ride sounds like real fun (landing at the bottom of the canyon) but unfortunately it looks like it doesn't go to south rim ...... too bad! I think for a first time visitor south rim is a must see , may be i'll come back later for that thrilling heli ride! thanks again to all of you !

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las vegas to Grand Canyon South Rim Bus tour

We took a plane to the south rim, and did the helicopter flight there, as well as going by shuttle bus to the Grand Canyon Village lookout (start of the Bright Angel Trail ?). There was supposed to be "multiple overlook stops", but those of us that took the heli tour missed out on these. Though the views from the heli were truly spectacular, and you got to see the deepest and widest parts of the Grand Canyon, I felt a little removed from it all and feel we would have been better off just doing the bus trip parts of the tour and not the helicopter ride. The actual time over the canyon in the helicopter is only about 9 minutes; the rest is getting there and back. There is a far longer heli ride from GC airport that covers much more, but the option wasn't offered on our particular tour.

We were picked at at 4.45 am and were back at our hotel by 3.00pm. We were the last to be dropped off. Tour was with Papillon, but Maverick does a similar trip. No doubt others. If your only requirement is to see the Grand Canyon South Rim and be back in plenty of time for your flight, these tours are the best option. I'd find a tour that flies you there, and then visits a number of lookouts by bus.

Edited: 07 June 2012, 05:51
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,242 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las vegas to Grand Canyon South Rim Bus tour

Any tour from LV to GCNP south rim will be virtually the same once you arrive at the park. It doesn't matter if you get there by plane or bus. You'll have about 3 hours inside the park (by coach) at Mather Point and the rim path near the hotels. If you opt for the helicopter overflight, as described above, it will be at the expense of time on the ground inside the park.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Las vegas to Grand Canyon South Rim Bus tour

What time is your flight out? If it's in early evening, you'd probably want to take the air/ground tour to the South Rim. The bus tours get back quite late, ~10.30-11 PM. What with being required to check in for your flight an hour prior, situating your luggage, etc., the bus tour probably wouldn't get you back in time. The air tours offer morning departures, which is best anyway for light conditions and less wind, and would stand a better chance of getting you back to Las Vegas with enough time to make your flight.

Just so you know, too, the air tour companies all operate from outlying airports. Scenic/Grand Canyon Airlines flies out of Boulder City, Maverick Airlines flies out of Henderson, and Vision Airlines flies out of North Las Vegas. So you have to take into account time to shuttle from the respective airport back to your hotel in Las Vegas or McCarran Airport. Be very careful before deciding on which trip to take; make sure all the logistics, shuttles, etc. will get you to the airport on time.

South Pole
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Las vegas to Grand Canyon South Rim Bus tour

You might want to check out this deal:

groupon.com/deals/grand-canyon-tour-travel-2…

Great deal!

Bob