We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spirit air lines

toledo
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
spirit air lines

dose anyone take spirit from detroit to las vegas?? and if so how is it? how do you use fast bag drop? help please.

Sterling Heights...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spirit air lines

I've taken Spirt from Detroit many times. The flights have been good; no problems. Remember they charge for carry on baggage. Never used fast drop baggage. What is it?

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spirit air lines

I believe they only offer it in specific airports

Sterling Heights...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spirit air lines

@javyjoy - notice the 777 posts for you. Lucky 777

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,975 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: spirit air lines

Unless you are short I highly recommend paying for more leg room seats.

Ive never seen so little leg room on an airplane than that of their regular seats.

I took a short flight from San Diego to LAs only about an hour, and my legs where jammed into the seat in front of me so tight that there were indentations in my knees for about 8 hours afterward (Im not exaggerating).

I flew back to SAN the same day and was in the seats up front first 4 rows I think, which are like first class on a real airline.

The aircraft I was on both direction were the most worn at least on the interior that Ive ever been on.

That said, it served its purpose I flew up and back for a UNLV Basketball game on a Sat. I think I arrived at 1230pm and left to come back at 6pm for about $80, I didnt have any bags. Id never sit in their regular seats again.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spirit air lines

goodbeer I agree. I use to love Spirit but they shrunk the seat/legroom and now they nickel and dime you to death.

I took them back from LV this trip. Cheap and good times but then they changed my time from 9:30 am til 8:10. That doesn't seem like much but in LV it is to me.

They charge for a seat, carry on, checked baggage, food, and even a glass of water.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spirit air lines

Ouch, I had the same experience on a short flight from Fort Lauderdale to Puerto Rico...no leg room. Most uncomfortable flight I've ever been on.

Toronto
Level Contributor
82 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: spirit air lines

I have gone from Detroit many times and there are always lots of people at the spirit check-in. Get there a bit early if you have bags to drop. The line is usually huge but moves quick (this is the 'fast drop' line). Just read the rules and give yourself a bit of extra time and it will be all good.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: spirit air lines

Flew Spirit from DTW to Vegas in Feb. Flight is very cramped with little leg room. I felt like the guy in front of me was in my lap. I fly a lot for work, and have never been so cramped on a plane. THe fast bag drop works pretty easy. Just pay for your bags online before getting to the airport, wait in line, took us about 20 min., and give them your bags with ID and receipt. Just make sure your bag is not 1 oz over 40 pounds, or they will charge you, or make you get out of line and take things out, then get back in line. After paying all the fees, we figured it is almost the same price to fly Delta on a much roomier plane. Have a great trip !

Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: spirit air lines

The fast bag drop line was a special line where you weighed and tagged your bags and then dropped them off--bypassing everyone else waiting in line to have their bags weighed and tagged by behind-the-counter Spirit employees. As more and more people are steered to weighing and tagging their own bags, it's really not a fast bag drop line anymore. That is to say that there is no advantage when everyone is using the same shortcut. The line does move quickly enough. That might be the one redeeming feature of Spirit Airlines.

I don't know that any of their aircraft are reconfigured to get more seats onboard, like some suggest. We always pay extra for the "big front seats", which are two to a row. Very nice and plenty of room. On a four hour flight, that makes a huge difference.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: spirit air lines

We always fly Spirit from Detroit to Vegas. We pay for carry on bags and print our boarding passes at home so we bypass the counter/bag line and go directly to security. We also pay the $60 each way for the big front seats. It's the best $120 I spend for Vegas trips! We usually board first and are the first to get off.

As long as you know they charge for everything, you won't be surprised. They're usually ontime or close to it, but they do like to change their schedules a bit.