We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experts who fly Southwest

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Experts who fly Southwest

Please tell me how it works. Do I need to worry about printing my boarding pass when leaving Las Vegas to go back home before the airport? If I pay early check in how does that work exactly

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,334 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experts who fly Southwest

southwest.com/html/…index.html

Level Contributor
44 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Experts who fly Southwest

Was wondering the same things myself. Don't really like the idea of not having seat assignment.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,657 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Experts who fly Southwest

You dont get assigned a boarding number until you are checked in

You board based off of that number.

How you check in is up to you.

You can purchase early bird check in and not worry

You can check in anytime online within the 24 hour mark of the time your flight departs

You can wait until you get to the airport to check in.

The later you check in the later you board.

You dont have to physically print your pass when you check in, so you can check in on your phone and then print once you get to the airport, you will get the number given when you checked in.

One of many reasons I try not to fly SWA unless they are the only non-stop option. Unfortunately I fly them often.

Edited: 14 June 2012, 00:32
Chicago
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Experts who fly Southwest

So as I read it if I purchase the early bird check in I can check in 36 hours ahead of time? Is that correct or is it automatic and I do not need to check in?

South Carolina
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Experts who fly Southwest

If you purchase early bird you do not need to check in until you get to the airport and you will still get priority boarding.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Experts who fly Southwest

If you have a smart phone there's a southwest app. If you get the early bird it costs $10 and you are in group "a" which boards first. We have done it when we don't have access to a printer. You can ask at the hotel services desk to print up your boarding pass 24 hours before your flight. All that will cost is a smile and a small tip

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Experts who fly Southwest

So as I understand it I purchase early bird and I do not have to check in until I get to the airport at which time I can check in and print out my boarding pass at the kiosk and there is no need to even worry about checking in for either flight? or have someone print it out for me at the hotel?

South Carolina
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Experts who fly Southwest

That's correct, just remember that you can purchase early bird for just one way $10 or round trip $20

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Experts who fly Southwest

excellent this is sounding better and better than Spirit. who needs to spend money on big seats Southwest will do just fine from Chicago to LAs Vegas. And to fly form Midway will be a nice change

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Experts who fly Southwest

I recently flew Southwest for the first time. My route from Chicago Midway to Las Vegas is the same as yours. I thought the flight experience was fantastic compared to my usual American/United experiences at O'Hare. The staff was friendly, boarding was efficient, loved the free snacks, ability to change reservations without penalty and no bag fees. We are going to Vegas again in September and flying Southwest again.