We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Pool Seaters~How Much?

Baltimore, Maryland
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tipping Pool Seaters~How Much?

When staying at a place like the Four Seasons, we understand that, when using the pool, we will be seated and brought water and such by a member of the pool staff. How much is appropriate (and/or expected) to tip these folks who "greet and seat"?

Thanks for your input!

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping Pool Seaters~How Much?

Here's my experience of the FS pool. When you arrive you go and "check in" at a cabana style structure where they take your name and room number. They ask where you want to sit, how many towels, if you need a pitcher of water and if you have any other requests. Then somebody will take what you need to your chairs and set everything up for you.

I tip $5 though once when I wanted the chairs moving quite a distance I upped it to $10 but that was possibly a little over generous! If we need a water refill I usually head over to the counter and ask for it there - no tip required for that or for any of the various "treats" that are brought to you.

Boston
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping Pool Seaters~How Much?

Why do we need someone to sit us at a pool? We can't just walk up to an open chair? Having to worry about things like tipping a guy to show me to a seat at a pool does not sound relaxing, even though the "greet and seat" is probably meant to be high customer service.

I'm leaving in two days for Encore, do I need to worry about this at their pool? Sounds like I better go to the bank and load up on $5 bills to tip everyone. I have no problem with tipping, but some situations are just ridiculous, like this one.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping Pool Seaters~How Much?

I'm getting so confused by all this tipping that I'm going to need to work out for our holiday to LA and Vegas next month. I don't mind tipping as its the norm over there but its just not straight forward at all. I have read the thread on tipping on the trip advisor site but I can still see us winging it for the first few times to see if we have it right!

St Louis
Level Contributor
364 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping Pool Seaters~How Much?

Nothing, couldn't a monkey do that job.

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping Pool Seaters~How Much?

No matter where I stay if they throw a "seat saver's" crap in the pool so I can use the chair while they eat breakfast and play slots, I'm handing the pool attendant a $20!

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping Pool Seaters~How Much?

Pool seaters fall into the same category as bellboys. If you want help, they are there and should be tipped. Or they can just hand you your towels and you pick your own seat. It's really not that hard.

If somebody helps you find a good seat and sets up your chair, tips them a couple bucks. Seriously, $2 is totally acceptable, no need to tip more unless you want. If they are really nice and friendly, do feel free to tip more. And if you are my wife, and the pool boy is a flirty and good looking, you tip a ridiculous amount.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,130 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping Pool Seaters~How Much?

Some of the comments on here remind why Las Vegas is rapidly becoming the Jersey Shore of the Desert. It's a shame.

Boston
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping Pool Seaters~How Much?

Ok, so if you want a chair its not required that you use the "greet and seat" service. There are available walk up chairs.

I have no problem with tipping, its not about the money. I just don't like forced tipping. Other examples are waiting in the cab line outside the hotel and tipping the guy that whistles the cab over. Or at a golf course where the guy has to take your bag and wash the clubs.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping Pool Seaters~How Much?

If I'm staying at Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental, I expect service such as this when arriving at the pool and I'm happy to tip accordingly. It goes with the territory at hotels of that quality. This scenario isn't applicable at any other hotel in Vegas.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping Pool Seaters~How Much?

Feel free not to use bellboys or poolboys. If there is a long line of cabs and the whistle guy is just having the next cab in line pull up 6 feel, fell free not to tip him either.