We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting flights

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Blackpool
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Connecting flights

I am flying to Vegas from Manchester via Philadelphia and I have a 2 hour stop over in Philadelphia. Will this be enough time to make my connecting flight?

Thanks

milwaukee
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting flights

you should be ok, clearing customs shouldnt take longer than 1 hour. baggage could be interesting. as long as getting your bags doesnt take long you should be fine. if its possible for you to do only carry on bags i would do that to make the process a bit faster.

Blackpool
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting flights

Cant do carry on bags unfortunatley! Well thanks for your reply. Here is hoping!

Scotland
Level Contributor
115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting flights

Plenty time mate, done it numerous times, sometimes with only an 90 mins stopover. Is a big airport though, but should be well safe.

Blackpool
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting flights

Thanks mate

Dewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting flights

We did the same flight and we all missed the connection.....took ages trying to get through philly security......50 of us had to be put on other planes over 24 hours.

Atyrau, Kazakhstan
Level Contributor
50 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting flights

Did it last year with USairways, no problems at all, in fact we had to wait about 45-60 mins for the gate to open.

Only down side is another 4-5 hour flight unfortunately, but it's well worth it.

Blackpool
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting flights

Cheers for the answers

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,588 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecting flights

And note there will be NO in-flight entertainment at all on the second leg PHL-LAS. So if you need something to keep you occupied on a 4-5 hour flight, bring it with you, as US Air doesn't have anything on their domestic flights.

Michigan
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecting flights

I would imagine you would be fine. The only thing I would be worried about would be if there are multiple international flights arriving at the same time. Immigration might get backed up in that scenario. You can check flightaware.com for flight schedules at PHL.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,103 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connecting flights

On arrival you will clear US Immigration, collect bags, clear US Customs, hand back bags for your connecting flight and get to your departure gate which will probably involve going through airport security.

It can be done in less than 2 hrs but equally it can take longer - it all depends on whether your incoming flight is on time and whether there are queues at immigration or customs.

Note if you buy any liquid duty free at Manchester you will need to put this in your checked bags before handing them back or it will be confiscated as you go through security.

If you miss the connecting flight then US Airways will put you on the next available flight which means a flight with empty seats as they are not required to bump passengers from a full flight to seat delayed passengers.

Try to sit as close to the front of the plane on your first flight and walk quickly to US Immigration without stopping at the rest room.

As an aside I assume you have applied for your ESTA for entry to the US.