We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are people really afraid to fly out on Friday the 13th?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Are people really afraid to fly out on Friday the 13th?

I'm hearing that some people are afraid to fly in an airplane on Friday the 13th - are you? If so, what are you afraid of?

My sister refused to fly on this date even though we found decent deals.

She said that this only adds to the anxiety that she already has about flying.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are people really afraid to fly out on Friday the 13th?

No different to any other day as far as I'm concerned. I can't even start to understand why anybody would give this a second thought. We live in the 21st century, not the Middle Ages!

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself".

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,656 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are people really afraid to fly out on Friday the 13th?

I'm ok with Friday 13th as long as I don't have to walk under any ladders on the way to the plane - whilst I can understand phobias I'm lost with silly superstitions.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are people really afraid to fly out on Friday the 13th?

We took the ONLY non-stop flight home from Nashville to Oakland on Sept 11th 2002. There were 7 passengers on the plane.

Even though everyone said "I'm not going to be afraid or let anyone dictate when I fly" there were still only 7 people on the flight. Thank God it was Southwest so our flight wasn't cancelled.

You can't always explain fear. And it doesn't matter how we feel about it, it is probably very real to those who experience it.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are people really afraid to fly out on Friday the 13th?

I was born at 5:13 pm on Friday the 13th.

This Friday will be my 50th birthday!

We actually feel 13 is a very lucky number in my family. My dad was born on Friday the 13th also, his parents lived at 1113 for a house number, etc.

Hants, uk...
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are people really afraid to fly out on Friday the 13th?

If it gets me away from home, I will fly anyday lol! Esp for Vegas baby!

Schertz, Texas
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Are people really afraid to fly out on Friday the 13th?

My last trip in Apr this year was flying out on Friday the 13th and I'm pretty sure I've flown on Fri 13th to LV before. The only thing I'm superstitious about is being sent to the cab stop number 13 at the airport, which happend last year on one of my visits (was not Fri 13th). Even though I dismissed it at the time, I ended up taking the worst beating I've ever had for a weekend in Vegas!! If the cab captain sends me to that stop again, I will defer to next in line:-)!LOL!

Edited: 08 July 2012, 22:34
Dallas
Level Contributor
20,602 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are people really afraid to fly out on Friday the 13th?

I would never fly to Las Vegas on Friday the 13th !!

Talk about just asking for trouble and a losing trip. Not to mention lost luggage and who knows what else ?? !!!

England
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are people really afraid to fly out on Friday the 13th?

It wouldnt bother me in the slightest. Superstition is mad.

PA
Level Contributor
638 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are people really afraid to fly out on Friday the 13th?

It wouldn't bother me at all. I'd just be happy to be going on vacation.

Although if you are really nervous, just ask the person behind the check-in counter at your gate to confirm that the passenger manifest doesn't include the name Jason Voorhees.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
892 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are people really afraid to fly out on Friday the 13th?

I know I will get teased for this answer....Yes! I understand your sisters' fear and I would not fly that day either. It is the only day I would ever not travel to Vegas. I would go in on Thursday, or I would fly red-eye after midnight.

Like ktinca stated, you can't always explain fear. A while back, I had a series of bad incidents, all of which occured on a string of consecutive Friday the 13th's. There is no explaining why, but that is the way it happened, and now I don't take any extra chances on that day.

I know I am not the only one who feels this way, but most other people seem too afraid to admit it, lol. Ironic, huh?