We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport advice.

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transport advice.

Hey all.

We are planning a trip but don't plan to hire a car when we are in Vegas. We are going to New York first then flying in so it's fair to say the whole thing is going to hit our bank account ..;)

We look to use the monorail at times but surprised how much it costs.

How are the buses which run along the strip?

We are looking at some hotels, such as the Mandalay, which are a fair bit away from places like Fremont, which we plan to visit.

Taxis are ok but again we are wanting to travel cheaply so we can use some of our budget in the slots, after all that's what Vegas is about.

Welcoming any and all "getting around" tips and advice.

Chris

delaware
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport advice.

RTC (vegas' bus service) IMO is good. And can get you to wherever you want to go at a fair price. Just don't be in a hurry when you use it.

Here's the web add: http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport advice.

I usually rent a car, but some comments on getting around;

Here's the website for the bus

http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/

I've ridden the lines that go up the Strip and find them maddeningly slow and crowded. There's an express that uses the freeway to get to Fremont Street but I've never ridden it.

The monorail is IMO not a great solution unless you're going to the LVH Convention Center. The stations are set at the far rear of the hotels, quite a way back from the Strip, and since the monorail runs up the east side of the Strip, even further from the west side resorts.

Of course, many people get along just fine using these, I'm only saying that I personally don't care for them.

I might pick a mid-strip hotel and explore on foot in both directions, then figure on a taxi or the bus to get to Fremont Street.

This is completely the opposite of what you'll find in New York, where the mass transit (bus and subway) is excellent and is actually the best way to get around....

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport advice.

Rent a car or you will get ripped off every time you get in a cab from the time you land at the airpot they will drive you all over the place just to get the fair up. its free to park at all the hotels and you can hire a car for about 20 pounds a day if you want to have a drink just pick the car up the next day

Edited: 09 July 2012, 19:38
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,560 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport advice.

If you don't plan on touring outside LV I wouldn't bother with a car - you can buy a 3 day pass for the Deuce/SDX bus for $20 which covers the strip and downtown areas.

You might spend time in the bus queue etc but it'll save you money - this along with some walking and an occasional cab should be the most cost effective option.

Level Contributor
3,510 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transport advice.

The bus system is your best option. The monorail is expensive and not very convenient. Follow the RTC links the above posters gave you. Focus on three routes:

Deuce - goes up and down the strip, stops at pretty much every hotel.

SDX - goes up and down the strip with @ 1/3 the stops of the Deuce.

WAX - Since you are staying at NYNY, it has a couple good uses. You can take it to/from the airport to where you are staying. You can also take it to/from Fremont street.

All 2 buses will get you to/from Fremont street. The WAX is the fastest as it goes from the stop on Tropicana Blvd (between NYNY and ExCal), to the highway, to downtown.

SCX/Deuce - $7 for 24 hours, $20 for 72 hours. 24 hour tickets can be bought on the Deuce, but not the SDX. All SDX stops have a ticket vending machine where you can buy the passes. these passes are good for all 3 of these routes.

WAX - you can use either the 24 or 72 hour passes or you can purchase a one-way ticket for $2 on the bus.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transport advice.

You've gotten good advise so far. Ignore the monorail, learn the bus system. Do study up before you go... don't expect a lot of information when you get there... especially if you want to take anything other than the SDX or Deuce.

While the monorail is pretty useless, there are several trams connecting hotels. They aren't all that useful, but they are free. And can't break up the walking on a hot day.

Level Contributor
3,510 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transport advice.

Above post should say all 3 buses, not all 2.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Transport advice.

If you wish to go to Rio, or Orleans, there are buses for Rio at Ballys & Harrahs and buses for Orleans (? & Gold Coast?) at the side of Bills. No charge for these. They run on set schedules & you may have to wait if one fills up for the next bus.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
984 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Transport advice.

Agree with avoiding the Monorail - expensive and not worth the time.

If you're set on not renting a car, then look into the bus and cabs. I personally prefer cabs, but can understand taking the bus to save some cash.

10. Re: Public Transport advice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:46