We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on -Was I right to send a letter of complaint?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Update on -Was I right to send a letter of complaint?

From March 2012

For those who were interested whether I got any response. I did.

The staff member concerned is receiving further training re his Customer Service skills. Apparently I was not alone in my complaint regarding his level of service. He did in fact remember our visit, and that we had to change rooms. He thought we would be OK with the larger room that had no view, instead of just advising us of this at the time.

The staff member who helped us, received praise for how she assisted us.

The letter also said that my email re the fridge should have just been sent to the appropriate area, rather than just tell me I had to telephone them myself. At the least, they said I should have been advised me of the email address for that area. SOME medications DO REQUIRE a fridge, contrary to what some think.

We have also been offered VIP Check In, service, and accomodation for 5 days, if we choose to stay again. Don't know if we will have that chance, though I'll hang on to the letter in case we do.

I am quite happy that my complaint has been resolved and that procedures are being clarified to their staff.

It will hopefully stop any other guest receiving, the less than professional and, courteous service, from that person.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on -Was I right to send a letter of complaint?

I think it would have helped had you included the basic facts from your first post back in March. Which hotel? What complaint? I am glad you got something resolved but really have no idea what you're talking about.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
4,721 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Update on -Was I right to send a letter of complaint?

I checked the old thread. OP wouldn't say what hotel then, so prolly won't now, but here's the original issue to avoid some confusion:

With our Hotel we had some problems. EG:

We requested a room with a view, both in our booking email, and at Check In. (and paid for the highest value room)

- we got a room with a view of a concrete wall and right next to the Elevator, drinks and ice machines.

We requested, by email, a fridge for storage of Insulin (2 weeks before arrival) (Doctors letter supplied)

- I got an email back from the Hotels Reservation area telling me to ring Guest Reservations ????. This involved me paying for an International phone call.

- so why couldn't my email be forwarded to the correct area to begin with?

There was no fridge supplied in first room.

We requested a room change

- we got a room with 2 beds, not 1 - this made for far less living area in the room.

There was no fridge supplied in second room until 3 phone calls were made.

We had to ask for refund of the difference in the room costs, as the 2nd room was a lower rate

– No refund was offered at the time.

The person just said “it’s only about $10 a day difference”, with no offer of a refund being forthcoming. My opinion is that this was our $10 a day, not the Hotels.

A further visit to Check In resulted in the refund being issued, with a verbal apology only. There was no offer of compensation of any kind for our treatment.

All of this treatment (except the instruction to ring a phone number about the Fridge) was down to one person only. This person was why I complained in writing to the Hotel Manager.

Was this the right thing to do, or am I being too harsh. We have stayed at this Hotel before, and loved it.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on -Was I right to send a letter of complaint?

Hi Alan

Clicking on my name would bring up the original post. Some posters asked me to let them know the outcome, so I have.

I didn't name the Hotel, as bad service is bad service, no matter which Hotel it is, and our previous stay there was great.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update on -Was I right to send a letter of complaint?

CBub - thanks for that.

I didn't think anyone other than those who responded last time would be interested.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
576 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Update on -Was I right to send a letter of complaint?

good for you.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update on -Was I right to send a letter of complaint?

I'm glad you got a resolution to your problem with the hotel.

But I do have to add that since you were stating nothing more than the facts of your stay there, it would actually have been better if you HAD included the name of the hotel. That way, someone who had the same needs as you would know how to address them if they were staying at the same property.

Not every hotel in Vegas requires that much work to be done beforehand just to acquire a fridge for medications.

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Update on -Was I right to send a letter of complaint?

The OP posted a review for Circus Circus back in March describing the same problems that were in the March thread. Mystery solved.

Glad to hear that management was so responsive to your complaints.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Update on -Was I right to send a letter of complaint?

I thought I had responded to this before - which I did. I am glad you did get a response from them. I'm sure the response was based on the attitude of the clerk more than anything. Customer service can make or break a high-priced property or a bargain property. People are willing to put up with a lot more if they are treated politely.

And again, yes there are meds that HAVE to be refrigerated virtually all the time, but insulin is not one of them now for short durations, and you can bet that most hotels know that now (read my comment from the old report on being refused one as an example). However I have only been refused one time, and Sheranton/Westin (Swan & Dolphin @ Disney) props even emptied the mini-bar at no charge so I could put my insulin in as well as juice for overnight. Even when I was refused at the Vegas hotel, they were polite about it!!!! They were never indifferent or rude about it or any of the things you encountered. So definitely glad you received a response to your letter & they are doing additional training of staff.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Update on -Was I right to send a letter of complaint?

5 free days at Circus Circus Eh..? You might have to fly back to the states for that $89.95 value....

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Update on -Was I right to send a letter of complaint?

My main aim was to get the staff members attitude adjusted, not a comped stay at this place.

My aim was achieved.