We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

favorite downtown cafe?

Tulare, California...
Level Contributor
386 posts
Save Topic
favorite downtown cafe?

What's your favorite downtown cafe and What do you like to eat there?

Hotlando, Fl
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: favorite downtown cafe?

I have a couple favorite cafes. The Market St. Cafe in the Cal. They have the best steak and eggs I've ever had. They have a Prime Rib special with soup or salad, a starch, veggie and cherries jubilee for $9.99. Magnolia's in the Four Queens is good also but can get very crowded during peak hours.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
137 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: favorite downtown cafe?

Love the Chicago-style pizza joint in 4 Queens.

Shag Harbour, Canada
Level Contributor
5,285 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: favorite downtown cafe?

It used to be Tinocos Kitchen(RIP) but now it's Magnolias, you can get some seriously grubbin' food there at a good price. :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: favorite downtown cafe?

I like the coffee shop at El Cortez best. Second, Carson Street Cafe in GN. Although after midnight, I like the breakfast sandwich at the Lanai Express at -- Binions or Fremont, I can never remember.

I don't do Hash House (plaza), and I have not tried the coffee shops in Main Street, California or Vegas Club. And I do not patronize The D -- I just have a bug up my a$$ over the idea of Detroit being a good thing, being something to aspire to.

I ate at Magnoilia last week when I was hungry at the Four Queens at 4:00 a.m. It was good, but I don't really care for Magnolia's late night menu much.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,655 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: favorite downtown cafe?

I lile Cafe Cortez as well, they always have at least one nightly ( half roast chicken and chicken parm are very good) and they have reasonable Chinese entrees that I actually see Chinese customers eating. It's the kind of place where the waitresses call everyone Honey.

Rancho Cucamonga
Level Contributor
9,253 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: favorite downtown cafe?

Peppermill and for me its Scrambled Eggs, Bacon and Sourdough toast. Thats as close to Fremont as I go.

Boston
Level Contributor
554 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: favorite downtown cafe?

Lanai Express is in the Fremont & is a regular stop for me when DT, because it's quick, cheap & the foods not bad!

I also like Magnolia's, Great food for the price!

Chicago
Level Contributor
733 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: favorite downtown cafe?

I HATED the Market Street Cafe. I thought the food and decor were both beyond gross. I felt like I was eating at a bombed out Morrison's in 1983. Either that or was in a bad movie scene were every single patron was on oxygen, in a wheelchair or ready to croak at any moment. I went because I am a wh8re for prime rib and we were staying downtown. But really, it was just nasty all around. It kind of made me realize I'm just too old for sh*t food, no matter how cheap.

The bright spot of that rather dull meal was that found Lappert's, the best ice cream in Vegas IMO. It's in the Cal and quite simply, it's delicious. It will be a must do every time we're staying downtown.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: favorite downtown cafe?

@Denver Dog, we keep telling you to stop soft-peddling your opinions!!

I'll have to try Lapperts, thanks for the recommendation. I almost never get over to the Cal (or to Main Street Station), but it isn't that far from Vegas Club.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: favorite downtown cafe?

Magnolia's used to be my favorite, but now it is Dupar's. I like their pea soup. They also have good homemade jellies.