We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renewing our 40th Anniversary

PembrokePines...
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Renewing our 40th Anniversary

I am planning a renewel surprise for my wife (40th) not till May or June of 2013. Dont want anything corny (elvis). Any ideas would be nice. Buget is probably average (not sure what that means) . Think it should be indoors as it will be warm then. Very informal, probably around 12 to 15 friends. Then dinner after (our treat). Girls, have read aound the internet that I shouldnt suprise her? Would you be upset? There reason of thinking is she didnt get to prepare her vows. Thanks for your thoughts and ideas. I know its alond way off, but I havent ever planned anything like this and or kids are going to help me. Jim

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
4,648 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Renewing our 40th Anniversary

I can't help with specific plans as I'm all about tacky for a Vegas wedding/renewal. I can say, though, that I probably wouldn't enjoy being surprised with it the morning of, so to speak. Can you compromise and surprise her a week or two in advance once the plans are all made. Will give her some time to plan what to wear, etc. That said, you know your wife better than we, so you and your family are better judges of that.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,391 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renewing our 40th Anniversary

I surprised my wife once with a ceremony, and have also had planned ceremonies (the next one will be Spring 2013). I loved the look on her face when the taxi pulled into the chapel. BUT, because it was a surprise she did not get to choose her own dress or flowers. She was dressed nicely because we came from a nice restaurant, but it isn't the same. I'm sure you are planning on pictures, and for these it would be nice if your wife could plan her wardrobe.

Our surprise ceremony was at Chapel of the Flowers, outside at night in the gazebo. The one she planned was at Little Church of the West, who did a fantastic job matching her flowers with her dress (see the difference).

This is where I start my search for chapels, this site has been around at least 10 years (2 of our renewals)

vegas4visitors.com/resources/…hotel

Congratulations.

Edited: 14 July 2012, 16:52
1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renewing our 40th Anniversary

Why do you want to surprise here? Don't you think she would like input into the plans? Don't you think she would enjoy the anticipation?

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renewing our 40th Anniversary

My husband and I renewed our vows a couple of years ago. We did it at Allure Wedding Chapel. It was wonderful! Here is their link: http://www.allurechapel.com/

They have many different packages to choose from.

I also agree that if you did the majority of the planning beforehand but told her a couple of weeks beforehand if would be best. She will want to find the right outfit to wear. Us girls like to look good!

Good luck!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renewing our 40th Anniversary

I planned my parent's 40th anniversary vow renewal in Vegas in 2008. We did go the Elvis route at a chapel whose name I cannot remember (would have to go through old emails from that time to find out) but it was between the strip and downtown, and was indoors, and had non-Elvis options as well. They were very professional and I was pleased with the value for the money.

As far as the surprise option goes, both my parents knew that they were renewing their vows, but left the planning up to me. The really big surprise was that my dad bought my mom a ruby ring (ruby being the 40th anniversary stone). They took their 'old' rings off prior to the ceremony, so they could put them back on during the exchange of vows, and instead of her 'old' ring, he slipped the ruby onto her finger, stone down, and then spun it around. That was a surprise she was absolutely thrilled by.

6. Re: Renewing our 40th Anniversary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2013, 10:16