We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valley of Fire or Red Rock?

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Valley of Fire or Red Rock?

I have a tour booked to go to Valley of Fire with Adventure Photo tours it is $129 each (two of us) and runs from around 7am to 2pm.

I have just seen a tour that goes to Red Rock with Grand Adventures that is $60 each and runs from 7am to 12noon.

I am wondering which will be better? Do they have the same sorts of scenery? We will be going on September 10th if that makes a difference. The cheaper price would of course be better as we only want a half day tour they both are around the same time frame.

Just not sure which way to go and what has better scenery and photo ops.

Grand Adventures Tours
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours, Bus Tours
Maverick Helicopters
Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Las Vegas Walking Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
896 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valley of Fire or Red Rock?

You will get a few replies similar to this one, in that if you are willing to drive you could rent a car for probably $30 and do both in a day by yourself.

Valley of Fire is about 40 mins drive north east of the city. You can drive through it, check out the formations then either turn around and drive back to LV and hit Red Rock [approx $8 per car entry fee].

Or drive through Valley of Fire and hit the road that brings you down the side of Lake Mead and out into Boulder. Then come back to LV via that route.

Personally I would hire a car and save approximately $200 on the tour.

Pete

Lawrenceburg...
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valley of Fire or Red Rock?

Luciewestie is correct. We have done both, and actually prefer the RedRock. Rent a car for the day, and do both. If this is not possible, I would go with Red Rock, my personal choice between the two.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
1,073 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valley of Fire or Red Rock?

Red Rock is awesome and is a very easy drive in a rental car. Go north on Las Vegas Blvd (or Highway 15) and take a left on West Charleston Blvd. Stay on this road until you run into the Park entrance. I would not hire a tour company for this.

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valley of Fire or Red Rock?

I am not hiring a car. Sorry, but I am from Australia and am not comfortable driving in a US car on a US street!

So that being said, anyone else got advice on which one to go to? As I will not be going to both.

thanks for your reply norman, so far you are the only one to recommend which one to see, so I think i'll go with Red Rock so far.

Seekonk, Mass
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Valley of Fire or Red Rock?

Both are great places to visit but I prefer Vally of Fire....a little longer ride but worth it. Pick a trail and wander next to American Indian petroglyphs before they get put behind a fence. We like Mouse's Point and Atlatl Rock for those. Great place to just climb and explore and maybe even catch a herd of Big Horn Sheep. We've seen them on a few occasions.

Film buffs will know that Star Trek Generations and Total Recall were filmed here (among others)...

Another plus is that it is way out in the middle of nowhere and is VERY quiet. Red Rock is slowly being encroached by developments and runs much closer to the main road.

As I said both are fantastic places to visit and everyone will have their preferences.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,452 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valley of Fire or Red Rock?

I prefer Valley of Fire and found the scenery much more impressive.

The contrast between the sky and the rocks and everything else was very cool to see. It was also interesting to see petrified logs for the first time. I'd probably seen them in a museum before, but only tiny fragments.

Red Rock to me was kind of boring. I have heard that the sunsets there are beautiful, but unless I was going to be there at sunset next time, I probably won't go back.

I will add that $129/pp to be taken to VoF seems excessive. I wish you were able to rent a car because you would save yourself a lot of money. But if you don't mind paying it, I'd pay the money to see VoF before Red Rock. Red Rock is on the outskirts of Las Vegas and not a long drive. I definitely would not pay $60/pp to go to Red Rock. (my opinion, of course)

Edited: 23 July 2012, 12:42
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valley of Fire or Red Rock?

3rd vote for Valley of Fire. We by far prefer it to Red Rock Canyon.

east coast
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Valley of Fire or Red Rock?

I would choose VOF over RRC any day. The scenery is much more beautiful and awe inspiring. RRC is great for more difficult hiking trails, but that is about it.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valley of Fire or Red Rock?

Another vote for VOF.

Seekonk, Mass
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Valley of Fire or Red Rock?

I know the OP has zero interest in renting a car but, money aside ($260 just for the VOF trip plus cabs everywhere else), going to VOF with a herd of people in a bus kinda takes the solitude out of the trip. I think it cool to wander down (up) a trail, climb to the top of some rocks (easy climb) and just look around at the different colored rocksand hang out listening to the silence....moving on when YOU decide to move on...... 20 or so people walking/talking down a trail together just isn't for me....

I am from the USA and I am always anxious about renting in Great Britain but that anxiety is gone after a day....and in LV once you are away from the city it is open highway forever.....(and no roundabouts!)