We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MGM lions

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
MGM lions

Ive read in various places that the lion habitat at the MGM Grand is no longer there but I've also read the exact opposite, does anyone know if it's actually closed down or not?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,547 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,005 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
347 reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
las vegas
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: MGM lions

It is definitely closed.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
101 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MGM lions

They were gone in March, but they must have put in a gift shop or bar there by now.

Level Contributor
69 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MGM lions

It is gone. Was always fun to stop and look, but sadly it is gone

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MGM lions

We walked down in May to find out they were no longer there. An MGM security guard told us that they had moved to The Mirage - I don't know if that's correct or not!

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MGM lions

Yes - closed. Nope, they did not move to the Mirage. The Mirage does have a garden with big cats, but they do not have the MGM lions. Fortunately, the MGM lions are at home at their owner's ranch and hopefully we will be able to visit them in their ranch setting one of these days. As for MGM, there isn't really anything left to tie it to the MGM theme. For me, it is just big and boring - won't be visiting it any more. Really miss the lions.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MGM lions

That really is disappointing

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,452 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MGM lions

nmsouthwest, while MGM is big and boring, imagine how boring it was for those lions. ;-)

Nope, I'm not any kind of animal rights activist, and yes, I did go there only to see them. But it wasn't like the exhibit was really exciting. Being transported back and forth from the ranch probably wasn't the highlight of the lions' days either. It was a novelty, but one I probably won't miss.

Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MGM lions

I was there last year in April and they were there - so disappointed that I wont see them during my next trip :-(

east coast
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: MGM lions

The Secret Garden at the Mirage does have lions, just not the MGM lions. Unfortunately, you do have to pay to see the dolphins and the other animals at the Mirage.

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MGM lions

Mailgirl, I can imagine it might have been boring when you were there, but the trick was to see them when they first arrive - frisky, playful and great interaction with their handlers. They swapped them out twice a day so they wouldn't be too at MGM a full day. From what I've read and from the videos I've seen, the lions seemed to enjoy to trips back and forth - not more than 20 miles. They got a bath first thing - which they liked, then off to play. Those in the know say the lions were extremely well cared for - a lot of play time both at MGM and at the ranch.