We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Airways - What time to be at the airport??

NewZealand
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
US Airways - What time to be at the airport??

I am flying to Las Vegas on a Friday departing 8.15am and returning Sunday 6.45pm. If I have to be at the gate 30minutes before at the latest when do people recommend I arrive at the airport to check in? I also will only have carry on.

Thanks

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,107 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Airways - What time to be at the airport??

I always favour the safe approach and be at the airport a minimum 2 hrs before departure to get through check in, security etc.

I can easily fill a spare hour at the airport if necessary and prefer the lack of stress compared to what it might be like if I leave it late - you never know from day to day what queues you can encounter at security etc.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: US Airways - What time to be at the airport??

Sunday afternoons can be crazy at McCarran as people head home after the weekend. I'd say get there at least 90 minutes ahead of your flight then. Security lines can be very long.

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
6,910 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Airways - What time to be at the airport??

For all international flights, you should be at the airport 2 hours early. This allows for any delays at security, etc.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: US Airways - What time to be at the airport??

I don't think the OP will be taking an international flight. I don't believe US operates any international services out of LAS.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,949 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Airways - What time to be at the airport??

It is called McCarren International Airport.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,604 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Airways - What time to be at the airport??

Well, if we're going to make corrections...

McCarran.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,949 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Airways - What time to be at the airport??

touche

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
989 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Airways - What time to be at the airport??

As mentioned, you can expect some airport congestion on Sunday afternoon/evening departures. Since you'll only have a carry on, you can probably bypass the ticket counter and head right to security if you have your boarding card printed. I think you'd be safe with a 90 minute check in time to allow for the line at security. Of course you can add or subtract time based on your comfort level.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,474 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US Airways - What time to be at the airport??

blagger - they fly to lots of international destinations such as Frankfurt, Mexico City, Monterrey, Dusseldorf and California !!!

NewZealand
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: US Airways - What time to be at the airport??

Thanks everyone, I was thinking of getting there 2 hours before my flight leaves, I get so paranoid!