We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buffet tipping

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Topic
Buffet tipping

Has leaving no tip at your buffet table become a trend? I started seeing it at the Wynn as patron after patron left their tables without so much as a dollar left for their server. I started watching for it on my last trip to the Wynn and Bellagio buffet and was really shocked to see how few people left tips. This isn't like cocktail service where your CW can simply not return to your area if you stiff her.

I think if you can afford the $35 it costs for the buffet, you can at least afford $5 to your servers for filling your drinks and removing your plates.

There's another thread where a poster asked about the appropriateness of tipping specialty food preparers, God love him/her.

Chicago
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buffet tipping

ugh. Sadly, I think greed and selfishness have become a trend in general. I think that many, many people have no clue what hard work is and the value of that hard work. To me, there would be no worse existence than constantly cheating people out of their earnings. I am happiest when I am giving to others and this includes tipping waitstaff generously.

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buffet tipping

Some just don't think they need to tip. Some think they've paid enough and don't need to tip.

Having said that, there's been occasions where I've tipped the server personally, either at the table or on the way out. So while I'm sure that's not the norm, that may be why you don't see a tip on the table.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,641 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buffet tipping

While I'm sure it does happen, and probably more often than I think, it may not be the case here. Many people charge the buffet to their room, and on the charge slip there is a line to leave a tip. Hopefully that's what most people did. Personally I always leave tips in cash, but many now just add them to dining bills when putting them on credit cards too.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,438 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buffet tipping

To me it seems more people are leaving tips these days compared to years ago, while I dont believe its caught on yet with the majority of people I do believe tipping at buffets is better these days.

Scunthorpe,England.
Level Contributor
271 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buffet tipping

Just returned from Vegas and i too noticed people not leaving a tip,something which i didnt do except at the Paris buffet and this was because the service really was that bad it didnt justify it.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buffet tipping

When I eat at the Wynn buffet, which is often, I add the tip to the bill when I pay the cashier. So I am one of those people that doesn't leave a tip on the table.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buffet tipping

I always leave a cash tip on the table because it is just too hard for servers to get the tips from management and is often delayed or confused. And with Wynn, he'll probably start taking a cut of the tips like he does with the dealers. Same if paying taxi with credit - I try to at least tip in cash.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Buffet tipping

Like any other place I eat at in a Vegas hotel, I'll charge a buffet to my room or if it's a location where I can't do this, pay by credit card. In either instance I'll add the tip at the register. So no tip left on the table but definitely no stiffing either... :-)

Chicago
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buffet tipping

kudos to the people who leave the tips in cash. The helps the servers in many ways, mainly not having to fight with management about what rightfully belongs to them. It's a tiny thing that makes a big difference.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,641 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buffet tipping

For those who add the tip to the bill: So the tip is not really based on the quality of service? You have determined and paid the tip amount before you even sit down?