We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buffet - food poisoning?

Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
310 reviews
Save Topic
Buffet - food poisoning?

I've just booked a Grand Canyon tour and received a warning from the tour company not to eat at a buffet in Las Vegas before I go on the tour as they do not give refunds if you cancel within 48 hours because of food poisoning. Is this realistic? I have booked the tour for my 3rd day in Vegas and would have liked to have tried a buffet before that, but I guess I can't now.

On a similar note, are the buffets really worth it, given some of them seem pretty expensive - and the cheap ones doesn't necessarily get good reviews? I'm thinking of trying one breakfast buffet and one dinner buffet while I am in Vegas just so I can say I've done it - the fact that I'm visiting Vegas alone means I don't particularly want to spend a long time in restaurants alone so other days will be happy to grab breakfast from Starbucks. I'm staying in the MIrage so will read the separate posts about buffets but if anyone wants to recommend a buffet or let me know if they are worth it please feel free!

Grand Adventures Tours
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours, Bus Tours
Maverick Helicopters
Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Red Electric Bike Tours
Bike Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,948 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Buffet - food poisoning?

@SportsGuy: I know you were coming from the perspective of "there is no life without risk, so get over it!" -- I even said that I agreed with you on it!!

NC
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Buffet - food poisoning?

How would one know if they actually had food poisoning vs just a stomach virus vs just the choices they made of rich food, drink, lack of sleep etc. People kill me, but at least the buffet probably won't.

USA/Tennessee
Level Contributor
327 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Buffet - food poisoning?

I don't understand the whole buffet thing. Too much food. Much rather order and not be stuffed afterwards.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
507 posts
1 review
Save Reply
34. Re: Buffet - food poisoning?

You might get sick at this buffet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtkpTrvwQ6c

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
7,319 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Buffet - food poisoning?

Really Susie? You've never eaten a Thanksgiving meal cooked at home and go "I'm so stuffed"?

Get what you can eat at a buffet. Who says everyone that goes stuffs their face with food?

As far as the food poisoning goes, if one person gets sick after eating at a buffet, then either they had a particular allergy or illness that was affected from a certain food. And that's IF it was caused by the buffet. If one person gets sick at a buffet, it's hard to say that food poisoning only caused one person to get sick. At the same time, hundreds of people eat at these buffets, then go in all different directions. Thus, it's hard to track if it's truly food poisoning or not. But most likely, it's not.

USA/Tennessee
Level Contributor
327 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Buffet - food poisoning?

Yes, Roadnut, Thanksgiving every year. Gave up stuffing many years ago.

Seldom see people NOT stuff themselves at a buffet trying to get their moneys worth.

Buffets where I live are usually generic. I much prefer ordering an entree. Having said that, Vegas buffets may not be generic, may have decent turnover, may not have people sneezing, coughing all over the food.

Personal preference.

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Buffet - food poisoning?

Smileycat, if you are still reading this thread - I would say your tour company's comments would cause me to have doubts about the tour company rather than the buffets.

If you only try one buffet, my vote would be for Bellagio, or since you are staying there, Mirage.

Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Buffet - food poisoning?

Thanks - the tour company gets really good reviews so I assume they are just being cautious and covering themselves.I should have taken the warning with a pinch of salt, I didn't realise that asking this question on the forum would start such a long thread!!

39. Re: Buffet - food poisoning?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 21:17