We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minor Setback

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Minor Setback

As I sit here typing with one finger, I am all set to leave this Saturdat for 5 days in Vegas (2 nights @Mirage, 3 nights @ Venetian, all comped). I broke my left hand (which is the dominant hand for me) a couple of days ago, and will need to re-evaluate playing craps (can't throw dice the way my hand was cast, and would probably throw off the table with my right hand). Also, I was lookin forward to swimming, but the cast isn't waterproof, so I will need to keep my arm raised while in the water, I guess. Any other recommendations on how to better handle this? Also, I'm in a slot tournament at Venetian, and this cast presents a problem in hitting the buttons (again, right hand doesn't function well enough to continually hit the buttons rapidly).

I would never dream of cancelling a Vegas trip ( I go 3-4 times a year), but was just wondering if anyone had any tips for making the trip easier with a cast on my arm. No matter what, I am gonna hhave a great time, just wanted to try to make things a little eeasier. Thanks!

Brian

ontario ny
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Minor Setback

I know your pain! I will be sporting a big black boot this trip

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minor Setback

Hopefully you have a sling to help keep it elevated. If you are going to sit on the slots for any length of time I would bring a pillow for my lap to help for cushioning and elevation.

Cheektowaga
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Minor Setback

Go to a hospital supply store near you,they sell water tight cast covers that just slip all the way over your cast and are water tight,I have had 4 surgeries on my left hand and I use that when I had to shower and or swim.You other problems you're in your own.Good Luck

Orange, California
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minor Setback

Sorry for your misfortune. You still have 5 days to practice throwing dice with your right hand. Start tapping your right hand on the counter.

Man up damn it and get to Vegas!!!

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
507 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Minor Setback

Three things:

You could play electric craps, or just not throw.

The pools in Vegas aren't really for swimming, they are too shallow.

I've never been in a slot tournament, but does it really matter how fast your press the buttons?

Enjoy! (Okay, four things)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minor Setback

Thanks all! I appreciate your responses. No matter what, I'm gonna make it work out somehow!

Olmsted Falls
Level Contributor
428 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Minor Setback

Hopefully, you can still hold a drink with your other hand, lol..... best of luck!

Suffolk
Level Contributor
426 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Minor Setback

Play black jack, you don't really need either hand just something to push your chips into the betting circle................

Buda, Texas
Level Contributor
150 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Minor Setback

Not trying to be rude but how can you not press a button with your other hand? I understand not being able to properly throw dice with your off hand but pressing a button on a slot machine doesnt take a lot of coordination

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Minor Setback

BigMoneyTexas,

Pressing the button on a slot machine isn't really an issue while just sitting and relaxing playing at my own pace, but in the tournament you need quick, repetitive hits for a 10 minute period. My coordination and strength in that arm won't be up to that task.. However, my cast is set such that the pinky and ring fingers are pointed inward at a 90-degree angle, so I am hopeful that I can just use that part of the cast to hit the button.