We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas and surrounding area

Nottingham
5 posts
Save Topic
Las Vegas and surrounding area

Hi guys.

Me and a few mates are planning on going to Vegas in May/June of next year. We are looking to go to a few other places beforehand just wondering if you have any advice on decent places to go. Nightlife and sight seeing etc. looking to end up in Vegas and go for maybe 3 weeks. just thought that while we're over there we might as well see a few places as its the flight that costs the most.

Look forward to suggestions.

Regards

Tom

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas and surrounding area

Three WEEKS you say? I'd Start in San Diego, drive up to Los Angeles, drive across to the Grand Canyon then to Las Vegas. You'd get a lot of great America in that drive and it is not all THAT far apart. Let me know if you want more suggestions on each place.

Something to keep in mind...Las Vegas is out in the middle of NOWHERE! There is not much to see past the city limits except desert and tumbleweed.

Douglas, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas and surrounding area

If your travelling that far might as well visit the Grand Canyon South Rim. You can do day trip from LV but you are best to overnight at the Canyon or a near by town. If you hire a car, rather than an organised tour, you can travel some of the way on Route 66.

Rancho Cucamonga
Level Contributor
10,109 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas and surrounding area

Agreed, the drive from Vegas to San Diego you will see a lot, and you could turn North go through LA and Santa Monica on a return drive to Vegas!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,810 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas and surrounding area

If you are interested in scenic beauty you could visit some of the US National Parks including Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon and other areas such as Monument Valley.

Depends on what interests you and how much driving you want to do.

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas and surrounding area

Driving between San Diego and LA could take you a week right there if you get caught in rush hour traffic.

Nottingham
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Vegas and surrounding area

Thanks for all your replies guys. I think we are looking more towards flying to various places instead of driving. Maybe stay 5 nights at each places or there abouts maybe a week. I know there's only San Francisco, LA, San Diego an Vegas on the west coast. So maybe could fly further a field?? The main cost of us getting from the uk is the flight internal flights aren't too bad.

Thanks in advance!!

Tom

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,374 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Vegas and surrounding area

I had no idea there were only 4 cities on the west coast. ;-) What happened to Portland, Seattle and Oakland? I'm just teasing.

Within reasonable flight times there's Phoenix, Denver, Salt Lake City, Reno, Lake Tahoe, Scottsdale, Santa Fe and still within reason, Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio. Lots of reasonably priced internal flights available. But you'll see a lot more driving.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,980 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Vegas and surrounding area

Will you be connecting through an East Coast City? Philadelphia or New York? What is your age group?

Edited: 16 August 2012, 20:01
Nottingham
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Vegas and surrounding area

We can do. We're only 26 so nightlife and decent stuff to do during the day time really. What places are good for what??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
311 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Las Vegas and surrounding area

Tom Robbo, dont be a girl and drive, mate its a hoot, pick up a car in San Fran, go over the mountains into death valley down to Vegas, on the border of Calf an Nev ride the roller coaster then into vegas, stay a while, out to Monument Valley, then head back, guys a road trip you will tell your mates down at the Badger an Slag for years.

We did it it rocks........20 years ago, not much has changed out there.

Hire a van buy a cheap cooler, couple of cartons, a bottle or 2 of turkey, some brittish invasion hits your away sunshine.

Scott