We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan my up-coming Epicurean Journey! Feedback Wante

Michigan
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help me plan my up-coming Epicurean Journey! Feedback Wante

Okay Trip Advisor Friends I need your help planning my dining experience for my up-coming trip to Vegas.

My mother (a young 60) and I (turning 28 while in Vegas) will be there 9/7-9/12 staying at Planet Hollywood. This will be my 8th trip to Vegas so I have had the opportunity to dine at some of Vegas’s great restaurants but am looking to try all new venues this trip. We have it narrowed down a bit so hopefully you all can weigh in and offer your opinions.

1) We typically start our trip out with an Asian inspired restaurant: currently we have it narrowed down to MOzen Bistro (Mandarin Oriental), Japonsis (Mirage), Yellowtail (Bellagio), or Shibuya (MGM) .

2) This trip we are thinking of visiting a steakhouse: we are between Mastro’s (City Center), SW (Wynn), or Vic and Anthony’s (Golden Nugget)

3) Italian is our next stop: Fiamma Tratorria (MGM), Scarpetta’s (Cosmopolitan), or Sirio (Aria)

4) Looking for a great lunch spot to celebrate my Birthday at – Suggestions wanted but so far have looked at: La Cave & Country Club (Wynn), Eiffel Tower (Paris), or?

Other places that are interesting us are:

Jaleo (Cosmo) or e by Jose Andres (feedback?), Sage, Biscayne Bay, Todd English Pub (City Center), Comme Ca (Cosmo), First Food (Venetian), and Public House (Venetian)

We are definitely spend longer then most dining, but are okay with that --- and enjoy a great ambiance, whatever that may be: fun, elegant, trendy, etc., just whatever it is, I would like “them” to do it well.

(Some of the restaurants that we have previously dined at and really enjoyed are time/food/etc. are: Circo, Mix, American Fish, Tao, Mesa Grill, Sensi, Emeril’s New Orleans Fish House, Olives, Milo’s, Mon Ami Gabi, and Commander’s Palace. However I should state that if any of you feel that any of the previously visited restaurants are better then my choices listed below, we are not opposed to trying them again.

If there are any restaurants not listed that you would recommend please pass that along!

Thank you all in advance!

Gardendale, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan my up-coming Epicurean Journey! Feedback Wante

Fiamma is one of our favorites. We are trying Gordon Ramsey Steak this time around, heard good things about the beef wellington.

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan my up-coming Epicurean Journey! Feedback Wante

Sounds good. What are you doing for breakfast? Checkout Bouchon at the Venetian. It's excellent for both breakfast and dinner.

birm
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan my up-coming Epicurean Journey! Feedback Wante

Jasmine

CUT

Piero's

Milos

Happy birthday

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan my up-coming Epicurean Journey! Feedback Wante

First the easy one: It may already be too late to get reservatons for e. There are two seatings per night Limited to I believe 8 people. If you want to try this CALL TODAY.

Then let me echo Truman's recommendation of Bouchon, although we prefer dinner there over breakfast. I place it above Comme Ca.

I notice no traditional French restaurants, either past or present. Not one of your favorites? My recommendations here would be Picasso, Andres or Alize.

You know that probably none of us have been to them all. #1, I've only been to MOzen and Shibuya. Two vastly different experiences! Shibuya is Hip & Trenday while MOzen is serene and refined. We enjoyed both, choose the type of dining experience you want.

If you want a lunch experience go to Ping Pang Pong for Dim Sum. This place is so good it makes the list of 50 essential restaurants, despite being off strip at Gold Coast.

I will also recommend you check out Eating Las Vegas 2012. It is available on Amazon for readers and I believe the print version just came out.

I look forward to reading your impressions upon your return.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 18:38
Goldsboro, North...
Level Contributor
644 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan my up-coming Epicurean Journey! Feedback Wante

Try something different...get off strip and dig into some Vietnamese food at Saigon 8. Most excellent.

Michigan
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan my up-coming Epicurean Journey! Feedback Wante

Thank you for all of your feedback so far. In terms of making reservations for e by Jose Andre - do you call the Cosmo direct?

We actually love french food, so these are all good suggestions. Would you recommend Andre's or Alize (as it is my understanding they are owned by the same group).

Also, in terms of french fair, would would be your recommendation on L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon at MGM?

I will definitely look into Ping Pang Pong, Bouchon (would you suggest dinner or brunch?? We are running short on Lunch/Brunch Options), and Jasmine. Piero's has been recommended to us before, and we ended up going with other choices, I will add this one to our potential Italian locations.

16 days an counting! :)

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me plan my up-coming Epicurean Journey! Feedback Wante

I'm pretty sure you have to contact the restaurant direct for e reservations.

I consider Andre Rochat one of the true stars of LV dining, because he earned his reputation there, not somewhere else and then moved to LV.

However I have never been to his restaurant at Monte Carlo, just his original one and Alize. Now that he closed his Downtown restaurant and is spending most of his time at MC, it is on my list of places to try.

I have never been to L'Atelier, and probably never will. I think of fine French dining as a restaurant for special occasions. I want a quiet and romantic setting and atmosphere. L'Atelier does not provide this. When you see it you will know this. Some people aren't looking for that and are pleased with L'Atelier, I would just be disappointed in the overall experience.

We like Bouchon. IMO it is a very big step up from MAG. We've enjoyed breakfast there, but weren't blown away. The original in Yountville doesn't even serve breakfast. So we prefer it for dinner.

seattle, washington
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me plan my up-coming Epicurean Journey! Feedback Wante

Your mom might like the ambiance at Harrah's steakhouse. It is very old school. My mother,a similar age to your Mom, enjoyed it very much. It was not the best steakhouse,but I had absolutely no complaints. Jazz brunch at Country club on Sundays is phenomenal. I also fully endorse Bouchon. Sinatra at Wynncore is a good Italian choice,especially if your Mom likes Frank Sinatra!

Benbrook, Texas
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me plan my up-coming Epicurean Journey! Feedback Wante

My wife and really enjoyed China Poblano @ the Cosmo. This is another Jose Andres restaurant.

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
972 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me plan my up-coming Epicurean Journey! Feedback Wante

You have to email e for reservations there are no other means of contacting them unless that has magically changed - though I don't see that happening because I think that's part of the restaurant's allure (the exclusivity).

It's worth a shot contacting them to find out if they have a reservation open, but my suggestion would be give them all your dates and see if there is an opening on any of the days, then work your other food excursions around that. It really is worth it, I planned my last trip to Vegas around our e reservations - in fact we didn't even buy plane tickets until our reservations were secure ;)

I guess I liked L'Atelier when I went a couple years ago, but it was my first "expensive" meal. I like the atmosphere and decor, but looking back and comparing it to other places I have been since it doesn't stack up, not even close. The only thing I remember about the meal (besides the price...) is that it was the first and only time I tried foie gras (I didn't know I was getting it because it wasn't listed on the tasting menu or I would have just asked for something else, but he just sat them in front of us so rather than have it go to waste I ate it). Oh, and that the people next to us had the same server and seemed to get better service than us.

Edit: B26 just mentioned China Poblano - that is a very cool restaurant with good food and pretty reasonable prices. I would totally recommend it as well.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 21:37