We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yikes - Southwest rates seem high......

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
545 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Yikes - Southwest rates seem high......

We prefer to fly direct - Buffalo to Las Vegas (return)

Not long ago we could fly for $100 each way - I've been watching the rates lately - $250 each way.... yikes

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yikes - Southwest rates seem high......

Southwest just led a fare increase last week and all the other airlines followed. They used to be the hold outs, now they are the instgators. Southwest just aint like it used to be.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yikes - Southwest rates seem high......

If history is any indicator, the next systemwide sale for Southwest will be in December. Before that you will have to hope your particular route goes on sale. Make sure to check every Tuesday when they have their weekly specials.

Hamilton
Level Contributor
127 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yikes - Southwest rates seem high......

Hi....we got Southwest tickets out of Buffalo for Sept 5-12... in early June...was a great price.. non stop return for 257.60....

i think you have to keep looking around 3 mths in advance as they have been the cheapest we have found..no Canadian airline comes close!....havent tried them before so hopefully will be a good experience...

Ducks

Cheektowaga
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Yikes - Southwest rates seem high......

When was the last gtime you saw $99/each wayout of Buffalo? A few years at least.Those days are gone.Be realalistic.If you can find anywhere near $200 then book it

Edited: 30 August 2012, 01:21
San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,348 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yikes - Southwest rates seem high......

I dont fly that route, but I also question how often you can find $99 one way rates. I dont doubt that you have, but I wonder how often those rates are available.

Shag Harbour, Canada
Level Contributor
5,274 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yikes - Southwest rates seem high......

I flew $99 one way from Buffalo, FOUR years ago. Now I find rates out of Toronto almost the same for the non stop flights, and is much more convenient and faster. Plus the land border crossings are going to become a gong show soon with impending construction on the USA side.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
545 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yikes - Southwest rates seem high......

Oops, the $100 flights were a couple years ago - but we do see flights for $115 - $124 each way out of Buffalo at times with Southwest (I have no reason to make that up...). A poster above found a return flight for $257. So the $250 each way is steep when deals can be had. Thanks ktinta - I will check on Tuesdays for Southwest's weekly specials as I am planning a November date.

Edited: 30 August 2012, 02:00
Clarksville, IN
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yikes - Southwest rates seem high......

It's important to remember that a few years ago the reason that Southwest had the lowest prices and were able to beat out competitor's is because they pre-purchased their fuel at a fixed price. When gas prices rose, other companies were stuck paying the higher prices where Southwest was able to offer rates based on the previously low prices. That contract ran out a couple of years ago so Southwest has had to compete in the big leagues on a level playing field ever since. They still are one of the only airlines that offers free baggage and has excellent customer service.

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yikes - Southwest rates seem high......

For the most part, Southwest's fares appear to be the same as any other airlines, plus they add about $25 to $50 to make up for the free baggage.

And then I laugh at how many people pay the $10 fee to have automatic placement in line....which causes them to pay MORE than other airlines would charge.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,567 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yikes - Southwest rates seem high......

Everyones rates are high.