We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

calling the Uk from LV

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
calling the Uk from LV

I know there have been various questions/answers on this but what is the best/cheapest option.

1: Tracphone - pay as you go sounds good but takes 48 hours to register

2: Skype/Viber - No Wifi at hotel - can you get a cable to plug an Iphone into a cabled internet connection)

3: Public phone card

Or what do you do?

Level Contributor
95 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: calling the Uk from LV

We were there 2 weeks ago and bought a $10 international phone card from Walgreens. Very easy to use and we called home to the UK twice a day for around ten minutes each call for a week :)

Level Contributor
95 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: calling the Uk from LV

Also used Skype at dennys,apple store and maccy d's lil

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: calling the Uk from LV

Hi

We have in the past bought an O2 bolt on for international travel, greatly reduces the cost of out/incoming calls. You can buy for just a month or longer. I would think all providers do similar.

We dont bother anymore, just either send a text or we always take a little netbook these days and send an email. If you dont have free wifi there are many places you can find it eg starbucks McD's plus many of the hotels have free wifi near check in.

Clive

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: calling the Uk from LV

Yes Wifi spots everywhere on the strip..

Dennys

Maccas

Starbucks (Fashion Show) and North Outlets

Apple Store

Sporting House @ NYNY

Krispy Kreme @ foodcourt at Excalibur

Hooters (I think)

That just about covers all the strip..

London, United...
Level Contributor
185 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: calling the Uk from LV

I used my mobile, I got an 02 bolt on for the two weeks - it wasn't too bad really but I might take my Mac next year anyway so might skype

Niagara Region
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: calling the Uk from LV

I always buy a calling card when I travel, it's the easiest, cheapest option. Just make sure to ask about charges for toll free calls from your room, some hotels charge for ANY phone use. In this case, go old school and use your calling card at a pay phone. Look for a card with no connection fee, some charge .25 or .50 every call you make so the $10 card can get eaten up quickly.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: calling the Uk from LV

Thanks everyone, will contact Orange about a bolt on, if not I think I'll buy a phone card. Then I can just switch my mobile on to Skype/Viber when I can pick up Wifi.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: calling the Uk from LV

Trudie, how often are you wanting to phone the UK while on holiday?

Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: calling the Uk from LV

Don't leave your data roaming on like i did £347 phone bill ouch

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: calling the Uk from LV

LDN_2009 At least once a day - Need to keep in contact with staff, first holiday since I started my own business 8 years ago!!

Leeh87 will definately switch data roaming off - OUCH!