We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming Pools in January. Yes I'm crazy.

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
204 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming Pools in January. Yes I'm crazy.

Planning a trip for January and am split between MGM Signature and Palms Place.

I'm leaning heavily toward Palms Place given the rate and that I'll have a car and will be out and about a lot. (I also go to explore the non-tourist areas) So, I don't need to be at immediate walking distance to the strip since I'll just park somewhere and head out.

The only thing taking me back to the Signature are the pools, which I know are heated and CAN be open depending on the weather.

What are the practical odds that the weather in mid January would be swim worthy?

Yankee
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming Pools in January. Yes I'm crazy.

99 to 1 against.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
13,381 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming Pools in January. Yes I'm crazy.

Problem is, the pool water may be heated but the air around it isn't.

I haven't done it, but I'd guess that getting out of the pool into cold, dry desert air would be quite unpleasant...

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming Pools in January. Yes I'm crazy.

People do it, but it's pretty damn chilly. I might do a hot tub but never a pool in January.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,341 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming Pools in January. Yes I'm crazy.

Average monthly high temperature in January is below 60 degrees.

Up to you to decide if that's pool weather.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,438 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming Pools in January. Yes I'm crazy.

" What are the practical odds that the weather in mid January would be swim worthy"

forgetaboutit

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,127 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming Pools in January. Yes I'm crazy.

Slim to none?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming Pools in January. Yes I'm crazy.

No swimming in January. January is winter, and winter is cold in Las Vegas, with freezing or near freezing temperatures at night. Snow is not out of the question.

Edited: 11 October 2012, 21:45
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
689 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming Pools in January. Yes I'm crazy.

I stayed at the Bellagio in December once, and they keep one of their pools heated, I swam there, and sat out in the sun (wrapped up in a robe) and it was great. Not sure what the temperature difference is between January and Decembe in Las Vegas.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,641 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming Pools in January. Yes I'm crazy.

I don't know about the condo/timeshares that you are asking about, but some of the Strip hotels do keep 1 pool open in the winter. We were at Wynn a couple of years ago in January and there were a few people using the pool in the morning for exercise. And one poor lifeguard who was completely bundled up, because it was less the 50 degrees.

Edited: 11 October 2012, 21:59
aurora, co
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming Pools in January. Yes I'm crazy.

My daughter and I were in Vegas this January and I used the pool. Caesars had one pool open, it was nice and warm. There is a lot of concrete, the sun was warm and no breeze. I think it was in the low seventies. In the past we've swam in the pool at the Mirage in January, used the hot tub at the Flamingo (their pools are now closed in the winter) also in January. Unfortunately some Januarys we've seen cold rain and snowflakes. We are from Colorado, though, and if it's over 55 degrees in the winter you'll see people in shirt sleeves. It's a crapshoot if it will be warm enough but you could go with Signature and keep your fingers crossed.