We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into chicago from the Uk or Overseas? read this.....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into chicago from the Uk or Overseas? read this.....

I am a reguler visitor to Vegas (2/3 times per year) and obviously I try and find the best flight deals from the UK.

This trip ( 06th October) The best deal was with American Airlines from Manchester UK, Via Chicago.

Here is what happened.

Apart from the trans atlantic flight having no entertainment (normally a screen on the back seat in front of you) except a few screens showing god knows what from the ceiling, the flight was uneventful, if not downright long and boring.:(

That is ,until the pilot was given the wrong runway to land on and had to do an emergency take off again and go round again to land on the "correct" runway.

On arrival in chicago, we had a 2hr30 layover, this is normally more than enough to get through immigration and allow for a few drinks and shopping at the airport before catching our onward flight.

NOT THIS TIME!

The queue at immigration was nothing short of horrific, several flights including ours had arrived from europe and there were only 2

yes, TWO booths open.

The line went on and on and on and got worse still ,as more flights arrived.

It took us over 2 hours to get through and we missed our onward connections.

Although we managed to get rebooked on a later flight, it was a close shave as we got the last seats on that we were told, so god help anyone still behind us.

When I questioned the AA representative, she said this was "normal" for Chicago arrivals.

So, congratulations to Chicago, the worst ever immigration I have ever had and will never , ever fly that way again.

You have been warned :(

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Flying into chicago from the Uk or Overseas? read this.....

Thanks for your coments guys.

Certainly will go via Philly or atlanta next time :)

Ballyclare, United...
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Flying into chicago from the Uk or Overseas? read this.....

Just flew Dublin-Chicago-Vegas. Yes the entertainment was crap and the seats the most uncomfortable I have had but what made it all worthwhile was clearing immigration in Dublin.

Bags straight through and no queues

Worth considering next time.

mpo

Edited: 27 October 2012, 15:14
Manchester, England
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Flying into chicago from the Uk or Overseas? read this.....

Just fly direct, wait for a BA or Virgin sale...so much easier....and it is your holiday after all....no stress....just relax :)

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,850 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Flying into chicago from the Uk or Overseas? read this.....

Why only 2 booths open? That should be the ? Asked. So sorry. Ask the operations people at O'hare airport, that is horrible

Glad you did make it to Vegas.

Have fun

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Flying into chicago from the Uk or Overseas? read this.....

This sort of thing is always a risk when flying non-direct to Vegas from the UK (or anywhere else for that matter).

A few years back we flew via Houston and had the same sort of issues you had at ORD. Huge immigration queue, connecting flight missed, and next available flight delayed for 3 hours (and we were lucky to get on that!).

Eventually we checked into our hotel in Vegas around midnight having been on the go for around 28 hours.

Never again. As Losvu says, the only way is to fly direct (non-stop).

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Flying into chicago from the Uk or Overseas? read this.....

As I said on an earlier post, we always fly direct.....now . I agree with Losvu!

Chicago
Level Contributor
733 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Flying into chicago from the Uk or Overseas? read this.....

I must be the only crazy on here because I love ORD. I live near Wrigley and can make it to my gate via cab in less than an hour. I made it during rush our traffic in 40 minutes two weeks ago. Security at O'Hare is efficient and short compared to that dump otherwise known as MDW.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Flying into chicago from the Uk or Overseas? read this.....

........and as Coops14 also said (sorry, missed your post first time round!) ; )

Dorset
Level Contributor
198 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Flying into chicago from the Uk or Overseas? read this.....

Our last trip we did this route from Gatwick with AA and the plane was so ancient the hold doors broke on the Tarmac and we took off 2.5 hrs late and missed our connection too.

As poster said staff not that disturbed and immigration unbelievable - we caught our flight but only because we got walked past all the queues ah and it was a flight to LA as we had to get a third flight to Vegas. Because there were no other connections not full or going to Vegas that day.

It was Horrific - never again - the only way we got through it was by telling ourselves how much money we had saved - but never again!!!!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Flying into chicago from the Uk or Overseas? read this.....

Although we only fly from Charlotte (on the East Coat) to LV, we ALWAYS get a non-stop flight. Even airline customers in the USA can run into problems if they don't fly non-stop. Things can happen and you can miss that connecting flight.

During the summer we flew from Charlotte to Salt Lake City on US Airways. We had a connecting flight in Phoenix. We arrived at th Phoenix airport, and our connecting flight left a half-hour later. No problems, but we were nervous until we actually got on that connecting flight.

I am sure if you do research online, you can find a list of the best and the worst US airports for foreign travelers.

Edited: 28 October 2012, 11:15