We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into chicago from the Uk or Overseas? read this.....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into chicago from the Uk or Overseas? read this.....

I am a reguler visitor to Vegas (2/3 times per year) and obviously I try and find the best flight deals from the UK.

This trip ( 06th October) The best deal was with American Airlines from Manchester UK, Via Chicago.

Here is what happened.

Apart from the trans atlantic flight having no entertainment (normally a screen on the back seat in front of you) except a few screens showing god knows what from the ceiling, the flight was uneventful, if not downright long and boring.:(

That is ,until the pilot was given the wrong runway to land on and had to do an emergency take off again and go round again to land on the "correct" runway.

On arrival in chicago, we had a 2hr30 layover, this is normally more than enough to get through immigration and allow for a few drinks and shopping at the airport before catching our onward flight.

The queue at immigration was nothing short of horrific, several flights including ours had arrived from europe and there were only 2

yes, TWO booths open.

The line went on and on and on and got worse still ,as more flights arrived.

It took us over 2 hours to get through and we missed our onward connections.

Although we managed to get rebooked on a later flight, it was a close shave as we got the last seats on that we were told, so god help anyone still behind us.

When I questioned the AA representative, she said this was "normal" for Chicago arrivals.

So, congratulations to Chicago, the worst ever immigration I have ever had and will never , ever fly that way again.

You have been warned :(

Level Contributor
3,087 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Flying into chicago from the Uk or Overseas? read this.....

Denver_Dog's highlights the difference between originating in ORD and making an international cx. Two different animals.

oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
953 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Flying into chicago from the Uk or Overseas? read this.....

last time I was on a non direct flight from Toronto to Vegas was many years ago and never again. Air Canada to Vancouver and vancouver to vegas via a star alliance partner (can't remember the air line). We had to clear customs in Vancouver which meant picking up our luggage and then to a customs line. At that time another air carrier was having a piolet strike and Air Canada was assisting there overflow of customers. After waiting in line for 30 minutes for our turn with customs a Air Canada rep came through the line asking everyone where they were going and when she got to us she told us to leave the line that we did not have time to catch the plane. I argued that we did but she said even if we made the flight our luggage would not. So we spend most of the day in the airport until the next available flight. I remember at the time asking when we booked the flight if there would be enough time to make the connecting and flight and were assured we would. That was my first trip to Vegas and the last time we took the cheaper route of booking a non direct flight.

23. Re: Flying into chicago from the Uk or Overseas? read this.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2013, 09:15
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now