We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airlines: Baggage Fees???

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
11,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Spirit Airlines: Baggage Fees???

Please don't tell me how terrible Spirit Airlines is because of all their little fees, I know all about it. I normally wouldn't even consider this airlines, but if it means squeezing in one more trip to Vegas before the end of the year, then sobeit! I normally fly AirTran out of MKE, but AirTran is not flying to Vegas anymore. :( The total airfare for the wife and I with Spirit is $315 RT, while with Southwest it is $732 RT. The main downside to flying Spirit is I would have to fly out of ORD instead of MKE. At least it is a non-stop flight!

Now, my question is in regards to the baggage fees. I see that for the first checked bag the fee is $30 if it is paid for at booking time. Would this be $30 each way? (For a total of $60)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,551 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit Airlines: Baggage Fees???

Yes.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spirit Airlines: Baggage Fees???

Yes, the fee is for each way. The fee goes up inside of 24 hrs before your flight.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit Airlines: Baggage Fees???

Yes. each way.

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
11,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spirit Airlines: Baggage Fees???

Thanks for the quick responses. That is what I thought, but wanted to be sure. :)

Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spirit Airlines: Baggage Fees???

I just called Spirit the other day. If you book online, its cheaper than paying at the airport.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spirit Airlines: Baggage Fees???

Have you considered paying the $60 to join the $9 fare club? It saves $10 per bag each way and at one time the airfare was a minimum of $9 cheaper each way as well but I'm not sure if that's true anymore. If you're both checking or carrying on a bag, you would save $40 on bag fees and maybe something extra on the flight. Maybe something to look into if you haven't paid for airfare yet.

Edited: 25 October 2012, 19:56
Toronto,Canada
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spirit Airlines: Baggage Fees???

DEfinitely joing the $9 club.

also be advised that spirit also charges for carry on

I believe they only thing they dont charge for a personal item i.e. purse lap top bag diaper bag (for all the people bringing their kids to vegas) or a camera

Cottage Grove...
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spirit Airlines: Baggage Fees???

Rhino, I am planning a very short trip to Vegas in the spring so I don't lose express comps - and am considering Spirit Air if Delta's prices don't go down before then. I am hoping to just bring a backpack which I can fit under my seat. Here are the guidelines for that - in case you are interested.

Personal items (e.g. purse, small backpack, briefcase, etc.) must fit underneath the seat, so the dimensions must not exceed 16 x 14 x 12 inches (40 x 35 x 30 cm).

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
11,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spirit Airlines: Baggage Fees???

Joining the $9 club will not affect the flight I have chosen, so not worth it if it is only going to save me $10 on the baggage fees. Since they also charge for carry-ons, we would just bring one checked bag (which won't be a problem because this will only be for 3 nights), and then my wife can bring on her purse, and all I will need is a book to read. My iPhone and headphones will fit in my pocket, so no issue there.

Now to convince my wife that this is a great idea!!! LOL!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spirit Airlines: Baggage Fees???

A few things that may help if you know them ...

Carry-on bag fees are really aimed at those using the overheads. The stated size limits are not strict but it'd better fit under the seat if you expect "free".

They charge for pre-assigned seating.

Out of ORD, no kiosk for Spirit so you're stuck waiting in the counter line. Good to get there EARLY if you opted to not pay for pre-assigned seats.