We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Satnav questions for UK people?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
690 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Satnav questions for UK people?

Hi all, I have taken the plunge and booked a hire car for the first time ever at a stay in Vegas. I had the option of hiring a satnav but that cost $14 per day extra so I didn't take it. I have a paper map of the city, but also want to drive out of town a little too. Will my UK Garmin work in the USA if I take it? I am a bit of a luddite and don't really know how it works in the UK.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Satnav questions for UK people?

Your Garmin would only work if it has a US map in it and that's unlikely.

To be honest, I'd hire the sat nav. We always do and it saves any hassle. If your navigator is as hopeless as mine she'll be holding the map upside down most of the time!

When it comes to wee add ons like that in Vegas I just compare it to how long it would take me to stick 14 bucks in a slot machine and never see it again!!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,837 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Satnav questions for UK people?

"Will my UK Garmin work in the USA if I take it? I am a bit of a luddite and don't really know how it works in the UK."

I don't think it will work unless it has been loaded with US maps but I'm another luddite.

I don't take the satnav option as I don't use one in the UK so I'm not familar with them - I tend to print out directions on google maps for any medium/long distance trips (old fashioned I know) and have my wife navigate.

For inner city driving I just tend to rely on a good local map and generally don't have too many problems although I may not get there by the shortest or quickest route but I'm ok with that.

birm
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Satnav questions for UK people?

You may not need either. If you are going to the popular destinations such as red rock, the dam, other parks, shopping areas, etc, your rental car company and hotel concierge will have free maps. All the popular spots are an easy drive. the concierge will highlight your map and give you directions - almost all have pre-printed directions to these directions.

Of course you could print your own using any mapping website.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Satnav questions for UK people?

Your satnav defo wont work unless it has the us maps installed which is highly unlikely.

I wouldn't fork out for the hire of one either. The roads in and around Vegas are easy to navigate and everywhere you are likely to go is well signposted.

Cheers

Davy !!!

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Satnav questions for UK people?

Search Garmin discount codes and then buy the US Map and it will very likely be cheaper than hiring a map on a device you're not familiar with.

Don't forget to bring the Sat Nav home though. I left the windscreen thing behind in a car once.

BTW, Not a UK specific question either. Anybody NON US could be asked.

birm
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Satnav questions for UK people?

'BTW, Not a UK specific question either. Anybody NON US could be asked' I disagree. many people living in the US can be asked, residency does not determine if someone knows the answer to this question. Many UK and non-US residents may not know.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
690 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Satnav questions for UK people?

Thanks all for the helpful information. I am the navigator as well as the driver but have managed doing both roles in the UK for ages so will probably be able to cope with the usual maps.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Satnav questions for UK people?

If you search satnav hire on eBay there is a company which hires out satnavs with USA maps on them. They post to you and you post back once you're home. I've enquired about costs and they said it would be £30ish for the 3 weeks I need it for.

Normanton UK
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Satnav questions for UK people?

If you intend to visit US several times, and your Garmin will not download, buy a sat nav in US, We bought a Tom Tom from WalMart several years ago, and we use it every year, plus it gets passed to relatives when they go.

From memory it was $99

Yankee
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Satnav questions for UK people?

Us Americans don't use the term "satNav". We call it a GPS. I've become dependent on mine and have abandoned paper maps.

If you bring our own, be sure to put it in your fanny pack so you don't forget it in the car.