We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting airfare online...some questions...

New Jersey
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting airfare online...some questions...

I've been looking into the airfare for our trip, and find that some are available directly through the airline (which I think is best to do right through them?) and some are not. But, they can be found on other sites such as orbitz, travelocity, etc... I need to get three one way fares, NJ to PHX, PHX to LV then LV to NJ, and I'd like to get them all from the same place, kwim?

If I call the airline directly will I be able to get what I'm looking for, or not? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

texas
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting airfare online...some questions...

Internet fares are the cheapest.

all you need is to coordinate the times an dates of travel.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting airfare online...some questions...

another question....can insurance be bought from internet sites for the tickets? I'd like to get it since I'll be buying 3 different flights for 5 people. God forbid something happened I'd hate to lose all that money!

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
268 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting airfare online...some questions...

I have only booked my flights online through Orbitz. I have found that I get the best rates through them.

If you want to book direct, you will still probably get the best rate online.

Chicago
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting airfare online...some questions...

I work in travel and I ALWAYS buy my personal flights online. I prefer Travelocity or Expedia to Orbitz personally. You can also try going to a site like www.kayak.com or www.sidestep.com which searches all airlines and online booking sites for the cheapest fares. You can then click on the appropriate site to make your booking.

I would suggest getting insurance from the online website. Travelocity and expedia sell it as an option to your booking. If you book on an airline's website, you'll need to search out the insurance yourself. If you google for travel insurance, you should find many companies that offer it and that you can purchase online as well.

Good luck!

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting airfare online...some questions...

I go to the online travel sites first, find the flights that work for me and then go to the airline website to compare prices. I have found lower fares on the airlines sometimes but other times it is the travel site that has the lower fare.

Also, some of the airlines are not on the travel sites, such as Southwest Airlines so you would have to look at them separately.