We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doing 5 nights in Las Vegas on a budget?

Cavan, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Doing 5 nights in Las Vegas on a budget?

I am finally getting to go to Las Vegas (as part of a trip to San Francisco, Las Vegas and LA) in early January 2013.

I have been looking at various websites and my brain is overloaded with the choices of hotels and choices so I thought i would post here and maybe some nice person will take pity on me and help me with chosing a hotel :)

I am going with my partner (both 40) and we want somewhere that is:

Lively (bars, nightclubs, shows)

In the budget range of approx €60 a night

We don't mind if it is off the strip or down at Freemont as long as there is transportation to the nightlife

We also don't mind walking but don't want to be walking back to dodgy areas at 5 in the morning :)

Somewhere that is (or near to) cheap bars and places where we can get some decent food that is not too expensive

We don't gamble so that is not a huge deciding factor (though we will probably just play some slots for the fun)

We want to make sure we dont spend too much money on accomodation and drink/food so that we have a fair bit of money to go to some shows as well as day trips to the likes of the Grand Canyon.

Thanks in advance.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Doing 5 nights in Las Vegas on a budget?

I'd stay on the strip. No point saving $20 by staying off strip only to spend $40 each day on taxis to and from.

I stayed in Luxor last time which was fine for what it was. Stay in the pyramid and you're right in the action as soon as you open your door. It's a bit down one end of the strip though. I'm staying at Harrahs for a couple of nights this time which is pretty central and should be well within your budget.

There's cheap dining options near to you pretty much wherever you stay and there's loads of resources on here to help you find happy hour and other cheap drink promotions.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doing 5 nights in Las Vegas on a budget?

I would say Imperial Palace if you are OK with a bare-bones room. It's right in the middle of the strip. No resort fees! Old, but going through a remodel. Never thought I would tell someone to check this place out :) My hub stays there when I'm not with him. He says all he needs is a bed and a shower and, well, the IP does provide those two necessities!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,208 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doing 5 nights in Las Vegas on a budget?

I completely agree with Anthony that there is no point staying off Strip just to spend the money you save on taxis. And constant travelling. That's the bigger spend.

Without checking, some of the Strip hotels I think you could get a $40-60/night room at are Luxor, Tropicana, MGM Grand, Excalibur, Hooters, Bills, Flamingo and Imperial Palace. Of those the first four would be my picks and MGM Grand or Tropicana should be the first you research. Flamingo and Imperial Palace are the most central, though.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,708 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doing 5 nights in Las Vegas on a budget?

"in early January 2013."

What dates, exactly? There is a huge convention in town January 8-11. Options for cheaper lodging will be affected by the 100,000+ in town for the event.

Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doing 5 nights in Las Vegas on a budget?

Agree about staying on the strip. Its what your looking for, more or less. The more part is that its lively with lots of clubs and bars. The less part is the price. There are no cheap bars or clubs. Drinks at bars are going to be about $7-8 for a beer, $12-15 for a cocktail. More than that at a night club. But there are some cheap food choices around. Imperial Palace may be your best bet. Dumpy, but not awful. Food court next door at Venetian, Denny's right out front, Walgreens at Palazzo for cheap(er) booze.

Now, dates. If you were thinking of coming for Jan 8-11, change your plans. We were there this year right before that show (Consumer Electronics Show - CES.) We paid $50 (plus taxes and resort fees, about $90 total) at Treasure Island. The same room was $500 during CES. Even Imperial Palace will be serveral hundred per night.

Jersey UK
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doing 5 nights in Las Vegas on a budget?

We stay at Harrahs, great location, not one of the top hotels,, but then not paying top prices,

Rooms are clean, comfy beds..

Have you tried Expedia for a price?

Mims

Chicago
Level Contributor
605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Doing 5 nights in Las Vegas on a budget?

I'd look at Bills.. puts you right in the middle of everything on the strip

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doing 5 nights in Las Vegas on a budget?

Check out smartervegas.com for great hotel deals and promo codes.

Cavan, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Doing 5 nights in Las Vegas on a budget?

Thanks everybody for the replies. Didnt realise it would be around $8 for a beer (and I thought Ireland was expensive for beer :) )

We are going to be in Las Vegas from Jan 2nd until Jan 7th. I have tried loads of websites and I think that was the problem. I was getting tons of information and some reviews of hotels where contradicting others so I thought it would be best to ask here.

Good advise re staying on the strip so that taxi fares would be taken out of the equation.

Edited: 05 November 2012, 14:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Doing 5 nights in Las Vegas on a budget?

Harrahs, Bills, Luxor, Flamingo, Excalibur, Luxor, Tropicana, NYNY and maybe MGM or Planet Hollywood too depending on exact dates.

cheers

shirl'

you just replied as I answered...here's a link to vegas.com with your dates.

www.vegas.com/mytrip/app/…

Edited: 05 November 2012, 14:40