We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to package a trip?

Oak Creek, WI
1 post
Save Topic
What is the best way to package a trip?

I would like to go in early November. Is is better to go at the begnning of the week, midweek, or weekend? What about flight times? I don't mind taking a red-eye to save money. I am only looking to go for 3 or 4 days. Any suggestions on the cheapest way to book? Thank you in advance for your help.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,550 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,011 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
565 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Mid-Michigan
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best way to package a trip?

I've found some great deals through Allegiant Airlines. (I'm not affiliated) They have a service out of Madison WI, not sure how close that is to you. We fly out of Lansing and the flights are direct, leave at 8:00 am get to Vegas around 9:00 Vegas time, leave Vegas at midnight and arrive in Lansing approximately 7:00 am. I'm not sure if all their services are about the same but from Lansing the fares are around $200 pp and I've seen nice rooms and airfare go for $300 to $400 per person depending for 3 nights mid wek.

I'm thinking a few weeks ago I found through Allegiant's website a weekend at Excaliber in December for $240 pp including airfare.

So I'd check them out if Madison is anywhere near you.

Jessica

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best way to package a trip?

Hi, as far as hotel, there are many choices and rates. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. Check out all the hotels, get an idea of what type you would like and go from there. For flights, I would book as soon as possible. An example is: We are going to Vegas Oct 16-22 (Sat-Thur). We booked our flight about 2 weeks ago and the rate was 176.00 pp. I check the same flight today (one week prior to our flight) and the minimum price is 278.00 pp. We are flying from Phila. PA direct. That's quite a difference. We booked direct with America West. Though Expedia, Orbitz and such are nice, sometimes booking direct with an airline saves some money. I would check those services for the cheapest airline, then go to that airlines website directly. That's what we did and saved. I have also found that flying is cheaper if it doesn't involve a Friday or Sunday on arrival or departure.

Hope this helps.

Sterling Heights...
Level Contributor
21 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best way to package a trip?

We just got back from Vegas, 10/04-10/07, stayed at the Bellagio, and paid $452 per person, flight(non-stop 9am flight to Vegas, returned non-stop flight 5pm to Detroit)and hotel. We booked a FunJet Vacations. Check out their web site.

Brownsville, Texas
Level Contributor
792 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best way to package a trip?

The cheapest time to go is during the week. Hotel rates are double on weekends. I got my package with Allegiant Air for Sept. Sunday-Friday for $460 total per person staying at Bally's 5 nights. If you are going alone it will be more expensive. My friend and I had to book our trips together to save a few hundred, but we are sharing our room anyways. I checked out so many other sites (Expedia, travelocity,etc) and they were all about $700 for the same dates and hotel, different airline. We first made a list of hotels we "liked", decided not to go over $600 and then put in different dates till we found the cheapest package. (some websites show you the total including taxes and fees, other's don't add them on till you book it, such as Allegiant, first it was about $420 but w/taxes it went up to $460.) Good luck!

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,518 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best way to package a trip?

Lower airline rates for your area will not be the same as airline rates for me (out of Kansas City)...you can always check with a travel agent first (just to find out what airlines are usually less expensive for your area).

Airline capacity makes a difference, so if the flight is full (or getting there), the cost will increase. Also there are different fares based on when the tickets are purchased....21 days, 14 days, 7 days, or within 7 days of travel.

I always book directly with the airline and know several in my area that have consistantly lower rates....you may also want to consider airlines that offer direct flights (those that fly without stopping or requiring a change of plane) It is important to know that if you are near an airport that Southwest uses, there are "Ding" fares that are lower and randomly appear if you sign-up for that service which have been real cost-savers for us. Other airlines send emails to us when they have special fare sales available from our airport.

Once I have my air secured, I start shopping for hotels and use the EXTREMELY helpful friends I have here on TA and also go to the fatwallet site to check discount codes that are available for my dates of travel. Sometimes we have comped (free) rooms, so I can the hotel to make sure the offer is available for my travel dates.

Some people have more luck booking a package (air, hotel, and even car rental can be included) since it is quick and an easy way to book the entire trip at once, but it is not necessarily less expensive than booking each separately just more convenient.

I would again suggest that you check with a travel agent about the cost of a package since the agency may have some special Vegas package available.

Most generally Sunday-Thursday are lowest rate days for hotels, and some airlines offer lower fares on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday.

There are just many variables involved, so if you haven't booked trips before just ask an agent since they will be helpful...another point to consider is if you do have an agent book anything for you, there will probably be some kind of processing fee involved but asking for info and not actually purchasing shouldn't cost you anything but can be used as a learning tool for you and shop around with several travel agencies to get a feel for the airline/package rates in your area.

Some agencies have "preferred" companies that they contract with in order to provide better offers to their customers.

Got kind of detailed but hope the info helps!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best way to package a trip?

Sorry, i know this is an old post, but i got all excited when i thought it read

What is the best way to pack for a trip?

LOL

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best way to package a trip?

I thought my packing expertise was needed !

8. Re: What is the best way to package a trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 01:19