We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of five- Hotel and other questions?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
393 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Family of five- Hotel and other questions?

Family of five , thinking of Vegas for 1st time visit for this New Years..........wondering re best room options.....would be Dec 31st to Jan 5th roughly and we would probably like a larger room/suite if possible......just wondering what people could advise, obviously would like to be in the action for location, esp for our 10 yr old son....any ideas for restaurants or family type shows would also be appreciated

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of five- Hotel and other questions?

a standard room at the Venetian is spacious enough for a family of 5. There is a food court for easy access dining with the kids. Grand Lux is also family friendly. The Cannal Shoppes is a great place to spend time with the kids and they also have the wax museum on-site.

If your budget allows, check out the 2 bedroom suites at Mirage. The Beatles Love show at Mirage and Terry Fator are both family-friendly.

Either of these is a short cab ride to Circus Circus so the 10 year old can play games, go on rides, and watch circus acts.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of five- Hotel and other questions?

The best advise I can give you!

1. Good luck with the crowds and a 10 year old

2. Make reservations like today, since many places book for New Years way in advance.

3. At that time of the year, it's better stay near home base, for dining, the traffic and crowds are horrendous

My kids enjoyed, KA (MGM), although they were 12 at the time and they really enjoyed the Tournament of Kings at the Excalibur

There are magic shows at Circus Circus

Omaha, Nebraska
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of five- Hotel and other questions?

Our family of 5 stayed at the Rio last January & loved it--2 queen beds plus pull out sofa, very large room, 2 separate sink areas, fridge, Keurig coffee maker (bring your own pods).

We liked staying off strip to minimize the adult theming of Vegas. Don't get me wrong, it is ALWAYS there but minimized in the day. We took the shuttle to the strip during the day...rode roller coaster at MGM, did M&M store.

We say Nathan Burton & Mac King during the day and Terry Fator & Mystere at night. Kids were in room by 8 if we didn't have an evening show. They liked to get snacks & rent a movie. They were POOPED after walking the strip all day.

los angeles
Level Contributor
855 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of five- Hotel and other questions?

Have you looked at the prices for New Year's Eve? They increase $400+ for that night. You might be better off arriving New Year's Day unless you don't mind exorbitant prices. Agree that the Venetian/Palazzo would be best for five people - a Bella Suite has two queen beds and a sofa bed.

Omaha, Nebraska
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of five- Hotel and other questions?

BTW, saw Circus Circus last summer for the first time in years. Gross--won't go back.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of five- Hotel and other questions?

Is that four adults + a10 year old? And that is for six nights? That would be way too cozy for me. Is getting two seperate rooms a possibility? I would definately be looking for something way off the Strip for New Year's Eve rather than spending $600 for a $150 room.

nj
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of five- Hotel and other questions?

Elara

Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
393 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of five- Hotel and other questions?

Thanks for tips, it is basically 4 adults....myself , my wife , our 2 daughters in early 20's and our son 10....... What about VRBO and sites like that ?.... I even see MGM with listings?... We have used this types of things when traveling on other vacations; like Caribberean and Florida......wondering if they work for Vegas...Defintely not interested in paying $600 even for New Years Eve and prefer to be all in same room or condo.....rather than 2 separate hotel rooms ....thanks for everyones help......

Level Contributor
3,510 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family of five- Hotel and other questions?

Be aware that most Vegas hotel rooms have a max occupancy of 4. Most also charge extra for 3 and 4th person in the room. It usually is less expensive (and more comfortable) to just get two rooms).

Suites in Vegas are generally way more expensive than multiple standard rooms. They are tailored to high rollers, not families. Many places have adjoining rooms - I'd recommend calling a few places and inquiring about them (I know for a fact that Ballys on the strip and MSS downtown have adjoining rooms).

As others have stated, NYE is the most expensive night of the year in Vegas. Do your best to avoid it (unless you have a specific reason to be there that night).

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,220 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family of five- Hotel and other questions?

I would not suggest going outside on the strip for New Years Eve with a 10 year old, things get way to extreme there with people drinking ect as well as people are packed in way too tight its hard to get around. I would find something else to do on that night.

Its a very expensive time to visit Disneyland for Hotels, since its so busy that time of year. Its unlikely your going to get a suite for a price you want to pay, perhaps at the South end of the strip, something like the Southpoint Hotel, Excalibur, or slightly off the strip like the Desert Rose Resort, or New Orleans Hotel.