We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How they may be breaking into your Las Vegas Hotel room.

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How they may be breaking into your Las Vegas Hotel room.

Just read this article and found it very interesting. Thought I would share.

…today.com/_news/2012/12/06/15703318-rossen-…

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,451 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How they may be breaking into your Las Vegas Hotel room.

Well, you would think you could just leave your valuables in the safe but from many reports on here, the safes are also easy to break in to as well.

Several stories on here lately about the maids breaking in and stealing cash out of safes too.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,803 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How they may be breaking into your Las Vegas Hotel room.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k593320…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
369 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How they may be breaking into your Las Vegas Hotel room.

There is going to be a lot of tip-toeing going on by both the hotels that use these locks and the company that makes them. Think of the size of class action law suit this could potentially lead too.

The strip hotels will replace all the locks: The MGM hotels will include the cost in their resort fees and the CET hotels will just charge each guest a door security fee. (Just kidding folks)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How they may be breaking into your Las Vegas Hotel room.

"Several stories on here lately about the maids breaking in and stealing cash out of safes too.

"

"Stories", indeed.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
983 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How they may be breaking into your Las Vegas Hotel room.

Small anecdote -- recently stayed at a Westin in Portland OR.

There was a placard in the safe that basically said "Do not consider items stored in this safe as protected and the hotel is not liable for items that go missing. Please ask the front desk for assistance storing valuables."

(I'm paraphrasing, but basically it said -- don't store valuables here, do it at the front desk.)

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How they may be breaking into your Las Vegas Hotel room.

I know this may be silly, but I was watching the Today show this morning about this and was like "well, gee, thanks for providing the few crooks that DIDN'T know how to do it with step by step directions!" I realize you can find this information online... I just hate seeing them display how easy it is. ;)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How they may be breaking into your Las Vegas Hotel room.

"There was a placard in the safe that basically said "Do not consider items stored in this safe as protected and the hotel is not liable for items that go missing. Please ask the front desk for assistance storing valuables.""

I think every hotel in the country has that posted. Usually on the back of the door with the emergency instructions .

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
369 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How they may be breaking into your Las Vegas Hotel room.

I guess a temporary fix would be to fill that access hole at the bottom of the lock to make it so the tool will not work. Maybe something like superglue.

I agree LaDda, it was like the guy just gave those village idiots the how-to guide.

Boston...
Level Contributor
393 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How they may be breaking into your Las Vegas Hotel room.

LaDda --- I was watching this morning and thinking the same thing

Yankee
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How they may be breaking into your Las Vegas Hotel room.

Don't be naive. You think criminals have learned something new? No, they already knew. Youtube is full of how to break into things. I learned how to open a padlock in 30 seconds from youtube. It is surprisingly easy.