We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SW Airlines

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
540 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
SW Airlines

Looking to book a flight out of Milwaukee on SW Leaving Monday after Easter and coming back that Friday. There is a sale right now on SW for $224 going and $235 coming back--over $450 rt still seems really high--wondering if I should wait???? Has anyone been watching flight prices out of Milwaukee is this the new norm???? Thanks

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,565 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,032 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
570 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
388 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,088 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SW Airlines

Can't say I ever watch flights out of Milwaukee, but that doesn't sound like a very good price. It may very well be where they stay, but it's certainly no great deal. I probably wouldn't be in a hurry to book something that far out. You might find a sale at some point, if you keep your eyes open. Of course, there is no guarantee that the price won't go up!

Omaha, Nebraska
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
8,521 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SW Airlines

Naw, not a good price, but it is getting more difficult to find decent prices.

We paid $400 each for our March trip from Omaha.

The nice thing with SWA is you can rebook & have credit if prices go down--of course then you have to use the credit to make that worthwhile.

I'd wait a bit--that is probably a slow week in Vegas, plus SWA should put some sales out after the first of the year.

I wouldn't expect prices to go up from that price, at least not until closer to the flight date if they should be selling out.

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SW Airlines

One of the many great things about SW is the ease of rebooking if the rate goes down. You will be issued a flight credit which you can use anytime in the next year WITHOUT restrictions.

I agree with others that it is NOT a great price, but if the trip is a definite, and if SW is your best non-stop option from Milwaukee ....... I would probably go ahead and book.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SW Airlines

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm planning on leaving MKE on Tuesday the 2nd (can't miss Brewers opening day) instead of Monday and coming back that Saturday and the best I can find is $194 each way. I've been tracking it for the past 2 weeks and prices haven't budged.

SW does have the easiest rebooking and credit policy that I know of. But, I'm planing on seeing if the have a sale after the first of the year and if not I'll bite the bullet and book and take the credits if the price goes down.

But, it certainly was easier back when Midwest and AirTran was around for non-stops. Now, we just have SW and I'm still ticked that they don't have any red-eyes back. I used to love leaving at midnight and getting in just past 5.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SW Airlines

Just remember your credit must be used (I believe) within one year of the original purchase date. So the credit won't be of value if you only travel one time per year.

Everything seems high to me but I suppose they are still paying contracted higher fuel prices. MSP out on Delta was minimum of $449. AA out of MSP was about the same I believe, out of Madison it was over $700. I only look at 'miles' on SW & I believe it was 28,000 for my dates. I booked TWO round trip Vegas flights for UNDER 25,000 last fall during the sale.

I am hoping they drop slightly after Xmas too - thinking they might be trying to hook people that are buying trips for Xmas gifts.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SW Airlines

That's high compared to what it used to be.

Unfortunately, the days of nonstop $199 RT airfares seem to be gone.

Try shopping around. In Sept., I got a good fare on United out of Milwaukee with one stop. It was under $300 RT. Since I wasn't checking bags, it was a good deal.

From experience, I've found the best rates are about 6-8 weeks out. Right now, April travel is still a bit higher than the best rate you'll find.

Edited: 22 December 2012, 17:34
Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
12,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SW Airlines

We fly out of Milwaukee all the time, and those are definitely on the high side. I would definitely wait a while, but keep an eye on the fares regularly. About the lowest I have seen them in the past few months has been about $180 each way.

It totally reeks that AirTran is being taken over by SW. They always had the best flights to and from Vegas, and their A+ rewards were much better than SW's reward system. Plus Business Class on AirTran was the best!!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
540 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SW Airlines

Thanks for all the reply's and advice. I think I watch till January and then book. I have been playing MyVegas and hopefully some of the rewards will offset the high cost of flights. Thanks again for the input. --

9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: SW Airlines

It would just be cheaper to fly out of Chicago

9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: SW Airlines

It would just be cheaper to fly out of ohare, or midway if you want to stick with southwest. I'm going next month and booked rt for 220 on spirit. Southwest is at 300 from midway. Parking is also cheap at like 8 bucks a day.