We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breaking my rule for upcoming 40th b-day trip

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
Save Topic
Breaking my rule for upcoming 40th b-day trip

Heading to Vegas in 2 weeks, DW and I along with 2 other couples. All of the guys are celebrating birthdays within 3 weeks of each other and it happens to be my 40th.

We all like DT and have discussed staying a night on one of our trips and we finally decided to do it this time. We will not have to worry about someone getting tired or partying to hard and having to head back to the strip.

Only problem is we have to do this our first night due to other plans the rest of the weekend. I will have to break my rule of not gambling heavy my first night.

I plan on hitting up some of the bars DT that we never have time to go to and we want to spend the rest of the night at the Craps and BJ tables.

Anyone else going to be DT on Thursday 01/17?

Please throw out suggestions for your favorite bars DT

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breaking my rule for upcoming 40th b-day trip

No problem gambling heavy he first night. Just use the envelope method and put the biggest stash in the first night's envelope. I brought a group for my 40th and it was awesome. Enjoy!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breaking my rule for upcoming 40th b-day trip

I would think that the minimums should be pretty low considering that we'll be DT on a Thursday in the middle of January with nothing else going on...at least, I'm hoping!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breaking my rule for upcoming 40th b-day trip

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a bar. I really liked the look of Benny's Bull Pen (inside Binion's). They have nice staff and chairs to lounge in and many TVs. If you're into cigars, you should stop in at the cigar shop right across the hall.

Happy 40th Birthday early! Just spent mine there in October.

Edited: 03 January 2013, 19:33
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breaking my rule for upcoming 40th b-day trip

Haha, the only night I DO gamble hard is the first night, and really the only night that I come out ahead.

Only been DT twice the last 2 years, so don't really know of any bars, but I did stay at the D, and it was pretty fun.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Breaking my rule for upcoming 40th b-day trip

The good news with you DT on the first night my liver survival chances increased greatly. I was worried you'd want to hit NFI right away.

See you in 2 weeks.

las vegas
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Breaking my rule for upcoming 40th b-day trip

The bars east of the canopy near the el Cortez are great. Very potent craft cocktails. Vanguard, downtown cocktail room have great drinks. Insert coins is a nice distraction if you are already tipsy. The drinks there are generic. I haven't been to commonwealth yet but plan to as soon as it warms up.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breaking my rule for upcoming 40th b-day trip

Head down towards El Cortez as superk5 mentioned. Griffin and Downtown Cocktail lounge are always a stop for us when we hit DT.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Breaking my rule for upcoming 40th b-day trip

Thank s for the suggestions on bars. I know I want to check out Griffin.

DadofT - The plan right now is to hit NFI on Friday night and of course you are welcome to join the fun. Saturday we have no concrete plans and Sunday will be football during the day. We can't wait to see you again!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Breaking my rule for upcoming 40th b-day trip

Dad, your liver chances may have increased for survival, but I think by staying DT on the very first night, my life expectancy has decreased significantly...LOL

East Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
413 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breaking my rule for upcoming 40th b-day trip

Perfect timing - you can join in the Thirsty Third Thursday Pub Crawl they have Downtown. vegas4locals.com/thirstythirdthursdaypubcraw…