We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it strange to only stay at one hotel?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
281 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Is it strange to only stay at one hotel?

Having read through the posts on here, it seems a lot of people split their trip over 2 sometimes 3 hotels.

Is it odd to stay at just one. I can't imagine swapping hotels halfway through my stay, I can see the appeal, but it would just seem like too much hassle for me.

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it strange to only stay at one hotel?

It's not strange to stay at one hotel. It is too much hassle to swap hotels.

I swapped once. I stayed downtown for a few nights and on the strip for a few. I wanted to stay downtown once ... but could not imagine staying off the strip the whole trip. It was a pain in the a$$ to switch. Extra checking in and checking out ... too much screwing around with luggage.

I think it's much more plesant to check in once and enjoy.

Indianapolis,IN
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it strange to only stay at one hotel?

I agree with you. However I often split up my stays between Strip and downtown. It also makes sense to switch hotels to take advantage of comped free stays at competing properties.

Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
281 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it strange to only stay at one hotel?

Ah I see, I don't think the comp thing will be an issue for me, we only earned 200 points on our Mlife card for our 3 night stay, wouldn't get much for that I don't think lol

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it strange to only stay at one hotel?

Not strange at all I never swap hotels and my trip is just fine .. I would love to try it out however.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it strange to only stay at one hotel?

I've done it before both to save $$ and because I wanted to see two different properties during one trip. Was better in theory than in practice, IMO. Now I would not consider it, as neither my husband nor I want to waste time packing and checking in/out.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
893 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it strange to only stay at one hotel?

I will go offstrip for the weekend to get away from the worst of the crowds.

Sometimes I have comped rooms at 2 different hotels.

These are the only reasons I split a stay. Otherwise I would stay in one hotel.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it strange to only stay at one hotel?

Hi

Depends on length of stay. We always stay at more than one hotel because of hotel prices and wanting to stay off or on strip plus downtown. Having a car is a must when hotel hopping imo, check out, bags in car, do what you want till next check in. If we didn't have a car then it may be a different story.

Clive

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it strange to only stay at one hotel?

There are a lot of reasons to switch hotels, although I do agree that switching often would be a PIA. We will switch hotels on a stay of 5 nights or more. In fact I can't really imagine spending say 9 nights in the same hotel.

We don't like the crowds, prices and atmosphere of the Strip on most weekends. So we will sometimes stay at an off-strip hotel on the weekend and move to a Strip hotel afterwards. I expect to do this on our next trip, which will be 5 nights. It works well for us.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it strange to only stay at one hotel?

ktk - I seem to remember from your other thread that you'll be staying for ten nights this time. I'd definitely be splitting my trip into a couple of hotels if I was staying that long. I think it's quite nice to see a couple of different hotels and difference experiences.

that said, it's definitely not strange to stay in one hotel. I'm sure the vast majority of visitors stay at one hotel per visit.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
13,074 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it strange to only stay at one hotel?

As kt says, there can be several reasons why people switch, but I'd say that most people don't.

A few reasons why someone might choose to go through the hassle of moving to a different hotel:

1. Comps. If you're staying for 6 nights and have two properties that will give you only 3 free nights each.

2. Promos. Some package deals will include $x in resort credits, or free show tickets, etc with a 2 or 3 night stay.

3. Price. One property may have an exceptionally great rate for Fri/Sat compared to the property you've picked for the rest of your (weekday) stay.

4. Variety. My wife, for example, likes to try different rooms, pools, etc, so we'll typically move at least once during our visit.

One trip we did 4 hotels in 7 nights, for all 4 of the reasons above. That was a bit too much, though!

Edited: 03 January 2013, 15:59