We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoover Dam Tour

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hoover Dam Tour

Im going to Vegas with my husband in May. He is an engineer & really want to see the Hoover Dam.

I saw on the Hoover Dam site that there are 2 tours - the self guided tour & the more extensive (& expensive) guided tour.

Does anybody know if any of the organised tours from Vegas included the guided tour while at the dam or do they all include the self guided discovery tour?

Has anybody been on either of these tours? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks

Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
6,089 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoover Dam Tour

There are two actual tours at Hoover Dam. The "power plant tour" and the "dam tour". The power plant tour takes you to two spots inside the dam: one of the feedwater tubes that runs inside the bypass tunnels used during construction, and a skywalk overlooking the generators. The "dam tour" adds on two additional locations: a hatch on the face of the dam, and the "stairway to heaven" where someone could walk out if the elevators failed. The hatch is where Chevy Chase supposedly crawled out of the dam in "Vegas Vacation". The dam tour is fun, but much more limited. We had to wait a couple of hours for a tour. And you have to endure a lot of dam jokes. Like the dam camera policy - take all the dam pictures you want! Its a very informal tour. The guide takes you to these two spots and you can chat and ask questions.

There is a lot to see without doing any tour. We easily killed the couple of hours and didn't see everything. Admission to the visitors center is included with the two guided tours above, but you can also just buy that separately.

www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/service/index.html

Sorry, I'm no help on the tour buses from Vegas. We just drove out there.

Mississauga...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoover Dam Tour

I received a link to Groupon today which might be of some use. I used this same company to go to Grand Canyon back in July 2012 and was a very good trip to south portion of canyon. Half price to Hoover Dam.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoover Dam Tour

Can you provide more info on the Groupon - Hoover Dam deal? Thanks.

Edited: 07 January 2013, 03:50
Nevada
Level Contributor
3,234 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoover Dam Tour

Here is a link to the Groupon offer:

groupon.com/deals/grand-canyon-tour-company-8

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoover Dam Tour

Found it! It's for a bus tour to get there, does not include either of the 2 tours mentioned above.

6. Re: Hoover Dam Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 07:16