We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Feb 4 - Feb 8

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report - Feb 4 - Feb 8

Got back Friday night from my 7th and what will be our last trip until at least summer 2014 - our son is due in May, I want him to be old enough to leave him with my folks before we come back! I refuse to bring a baby to Vegas :)

I will post each day as a reply (FYI I have written days one and two already...the rest will have to wait until this evening!).

We stayed at PH for the first time, and used a number of MyVegas redeptions which let us try a bunch of new things that I've always wanted to try.

Edited: 12 February 2013, 19:20
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,550 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,011 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
565 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Feb 4 - Feb 8

Day one: Monday, February 4

We arrived at Buffalo Niagara Airport at around 6am, went through security and got to our gate at about 6:30. Flew Southwest on a direct flight leaving at 7am. We paid for the early-Bird Check-In option, and that gave us boarding numbers B5 and B6. It was our first time flying Southwest, so I wanted to make sure we got to choose our seats (I am almost 6 months pregnant, so I wanted to make sure we got a middle and an aisle seat so I could get up easily and also so I could sit with my husband so he could help me with our carry-ons). Flight was uneventful. We were hoping that we could buy food on the plane because we were hungry and had eaten just a light breakfast on the road, but we couldn’t. Hubby slept, while I caught up on Sons of Anarchy (I couldn’t sleep because I knew I needed to get up to walk around per my doctor’s advice). We landed on time at around 9:10am – walking through the airport there were lots of bleary-eyed people still obviously hungover from the Superbowl the night before, catching early flights home. We got our bags and grabbed a taxi (the line-up was non-existent!).

We arrived at Planet Hollywood at 9:45 and were pleasantly surprised when we were able to check-in without having to pay an early-check in fee! However, there were no King rooms available, so we took two queens (a small sacrifice for being able to check-in so early). We had a comped room for 4 nights. I’ve always wanted to stay at PH, so was happy I had the chance! Our room was the standard Hollywood Hip room on the 36th floor, with a mountain view (I never really care about the view since our room is for sleeping and that’s about it). It was a pretty big room, and our room was Romeo+Juliet themed (the Leonardo DiCaprio/Clair Danes version). It brought back memories because I loved that movie when it came out. I loved the bathroom in our room, with the nice big tub and separate shower, and the toilet in its own little room.

We were both starving and hubby had some time before he had to head to register for the Mobile Beat DJ conference and trade show at the Riviera (the reason we went to Vegas). We decided that quickest would be to head to the Spice Market buffet, which we both love for dinner. We had already planned on having dinner there that night, so we decided to buy the Buffet of Buffets pass. The buffet was good, lots of variety as is to be expected. We decided we would eat there the next morning as well to really get good use out of the Pass.

Hubby went to his conference, and I quickly headed to Bill’s to play there for the very last time. Played $5 Let It Ride and lost all but $10, but it was worth it. I liked the energy, and it was fun chanting “Don’t close Bill’s” and “we won’t leave” with everyone. I felt sad though for my dealer (not sure if all dealers are in the same boat) – she had worked there for 7 years and wasn’t being transferred anywhere. At noon, I headed to the cashier’s cage and the cashier had been working there for over 20 years! Fortunately, there was no line-up yet, so I got my $10, said adieu and left.

I headed back to the hotel to unpack and shower. Then I headed to the Premium Outlets North via the SDX (Strip-Downtown Express bus). I actually rarely shop in Vegas, but it was beautiful out and I knew they had a Motherhood Maternity store there. I was able to finally find some dress pants, so it was a successful, if short, shopping trip. I headed to the Riviera to meet my husband as he was done at the conference for the day and was going to go to the Gun Store to shoot some guns – something he really wanted to cross off his bucket list! We cabbed there, and he did one of the packages that included 4 guns and a t-shirt ($99 I think). I couldn’t go in because there is no ear protection for the baby and the waiver requires me to sign off saying that my doctor said it’s ok to go in there pregnant. That was ok with me, he ended up having a great time and didn’t do too bad on his targets either!

We headed back to the hotel, relaxed and then went downstairs to Spice Market for dinner. Food was good as always. I LOVED the new Cupcake buffet they have! There were probably 20+ different varieties. We settled on 5 that we both would like and split them. They were all so good, but I over indulged too much LOL..

Once we were done, we headed to KISS Monster Mini Golf. We love KISS and this was under construction on our last trip, so we were excited to go. It was so awesome!! It is a must-see for KISS fans. Obviously the soundtrack is all KISS; same with the décor. It was lots of fun. Then we picked up a couple of souvenirs for ourselves - sadly they were sold out of shot glasses, which is what I collect, but we got a “daddy’s little rocker” and a Gene Simmons Demon tongue pacifier for our future son. I was absolutely exhausted as we had been up for almost 24 hours at this point, so we headed back to the hotel. I went upstairs to bed and hubby went to play some blackjack.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Feb 4 - Feb 8

Laur0406...First off "Congrats on the baby"!! I hope you made the most out of this trip, since you won't be heading back to Vegas for a while. I'll be looking forward to reading your trip report.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Feb 4 - Feb 8

Thanks MsNVegas :) I think we did pretty good!

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Feb 4 - Feb 8

We woke up, showered and headed down to Spice Market for breakfast. Then we headed to Mandalay Bay via the Deuce to go to the Shark Reef (the first of a number of MyVegas redemptions!). The Shark Reef was really awesome…I loved the Sting Ray Petting Pool. I felt like a kid. They did a really great job of setting up the aquariums, and it looks great. I was glad to finally have a chance to go.

Then we headed to Circus Circus to go to the Chuck Jones Experience (another MyVegas redemption!). Overall, it was a disappointment. We really didn’t want to sit through the 90-minute documentary – the benches they had were not comfortable enough to sit there for more than 10 or 15 minutes. It was neat seeing Chuck Jones’ original art work and I liked the Wile E Coyote and Road Runner display where you could pose under Wile E’s anvil. Other than that, it was really boring. We walked through in about 15 minutes. If you can go for free, it’s something to do…but I wouldn’t pay money to go. Apparently they are trying to find tour guides, but it’s not just there. The gift shop was also disappointing – they had lots of cartoon souvenirs, most of which was not Looney Toons. Afterwards, we headed to the Midway as we had redeemed for midway credits on MyVegas. We played ring toss with all 40 tickets, since that was the only one that had a prize we would even want (I did not want crappy stuffed animals, thank you!).

After Circus Circus, I headed to the room to nap/relax and hubby went to the conference. The KISS slot machine on the way to the North elevators at PH was free (usually it wasn’t) so I decided to play. I quickly turned my $20 into $200! Then I went upstairs to relax.

I met him later in the afternoon at the Riviera to walk through the trade show with him to help him decide what he should buy. I was blown away and on sensory overload from the amazing light and sound displays. We got to see Rob Base perform, which was actually really great. He performed a few songs (Joy & Pain, It Takes Two among them) and then did an autograph signing session.

3 hours later (the trade show was buy and hubby had lots of questions and browsing), we headed to NYNY for dinner – we had a $75 F&B Credit from MyVegas that we chose to use at Nine Fine Irishmen. That meal was really fantastic. We shared the Bloody Mary Onion Rings and Fried Sausages to start. Those were GIGANTIC appetizers that could have easily been our entrees. For my entrée, I had the fish & chips, which came with 4 pieces of fish, and lots of fries. I ate all the fish, and like 2 fries I was so stuffed. Hubby got the lamb stew, which he loved. The service was really good as well. The band (Ri Ra) came on when we were nearing the end of our meal, so we stuck around to listen to them, and it was a fun night.

Afterwards, we headed back to the Riviera as we had VIP passes to a party hosted by Pioneer. Unfortunately, so did everyone else, and they were at capacity at 10:15 (doors opened at 10). So, we went back to our hotel, and played at the tables (Let It Ride for me, BlackJack and then Let It Ride for him). We didn’t play longer than an hour – I was exhausted, the pregnancy making me more tired than I thought I would be!

albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Feb 4 - Feb 8

I'm glad you mentioned the KISS golf, I had read about this on another forum, some time back, it's maybe something to do on our up-coming visit. It seems like a wonderful trip so far. BTW is this your first baby?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Feb 4 - Feb 8

Congrats on the Baby! I love tha KISS Slot machine and RiRa at NFI is one of my favorites in Vegas.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
366 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Feb 4 - Feb 8

Thank you for the TR, can't wait for the next part. We are going to see Ri Ra next week! Super excited!

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Feb 4 - Feb 8

Day 3: Wednesday, February 6

We started off our day at Sugar Factory American Brasserie. It was a beautiful morning so we asked to be sat on the patio. They had to get the heaters going (it was a bit cool and we didn't want our food to get cold right away), but then it was great. I had the red velvet pancakes which are divine, and hubby had the chocolate french toast.

He then had to take off to get to his first seminar, so I went into Paris to see about playing some Let It Ride. They didn't have any tables open, and wouldn't until noon, so I headed to PH. It was the same story there, but the pit boss told me they had 3 Card Poker open. I hadn't played before, but really wanted to play some cards. It was a $5 table, so I thought what the hell. The two other players briefly explained the game, and when I should play. I made my bets (including pairs plus and the 6 card bonus). As luck would have it, my first hand was trip jacks! Well, I think I found my new favourite table game :) I got a couple of full houses, and a few other good hands and 3 1/2 hours later, I left the table up almost $600.

I would have stayed at the table, but I had a reservation for afternoon tea at Petrossian Bar at Bellagio (a MyVegas QR code instant win hubby got - when I made the reservation they let me use it instead of him). When I made the reservation I informed them that I couldn't eat anything raw due to my pregnancy, and I could eat all but one of the sandwich options (there were plenty others). The tea was lovely and a great way to spend some quality time with myself and my iPad while the other half was attending seminars. My server was very nice and attentive. And there was lots of food! I got two scones, 4 finger sandwiches and 3 dessert squares. And everything was really tasty.

Afterwards, I headed back to PH to rejoin the same 3 Card Poker table. The same dealer was there, and one of the same players, though he was in my seat this time :P I played for a couple more hours and broke even for that buy-in. Hubby got back to the hotel, we went upstairs and got ready for dinner at T&T in the Luxor.

Hubby had a two-margarita MyVegas redemption there - I would normally partake, but you know...and we love Mexican food. Plus, we were seeing Carrot Top (one of my MyVegas redemptions), so it was convenient. The food and service was excellent. We were stuffed afterwards. We started with an order of the beef flautas. For dinner, we each had one of the combos (with chili relleno, chicken enchilada and carne taco. And we had absolutely no room for dessert!

Afterward, we went to Carrot Top. We had been given front row, which was great. The show was hilarious. Like everyone says, it's kind of unexpected. He has a lot of energy, and had a really great opening act (I can't remember her name).

To end the night, we hit up Bally's for some 3 Card(hubby's first time). Unfortunately, neither one of us had much luck until my last hand when I had a full house - we still left because I knew he had a pretty early seminar.

Boston...
Level Contributor
306 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Feb 4 - Feb 8

Thanks for posting! I'm heading to Vegas in 2 weeks staying at PH and using many of the myVegas rewards that you have used. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
768 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Feb 4 - Feb 8

Great so far. Thanks and good luck!