We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight prices for late March

New York
Level Contributor
877 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Flight prices for late March

They are astronomical. Ive flown into Vegas probably 5 times over the last 5 or so years and I cant believe the prices. Im pretty flexible with my dates as I have a good 10 days off, but even during the week the cheapest I see is about 400+ unless I fly out and back in 2 days. I am coming from the NYC area, so there are tons of flights it seems.

Ideally Id like to go from Mon-Thurs or Tues-Fri, but I cant get over 400 a pop...seems very steep. Any suggestions on where I can possibly find lower prices? Ive been checking for a couple weeks and if anything they have gone up.

This 400 is also either 1 or both ways with a stop and the times heading back are pretty bad (overnight), so really takes away the night of the last being there.

Edited: 13 February 2013, 01:05
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,089 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight prices for late March

"Late March" like the week before Easter (March 31 this year) when many school districts are closed and families are on the road? Or "Late March" like the weekend before that when thousands are heading to Las Vegas for March Madness?

I'm afraid the airlines don't have much incentive to offer cheap flights to Las Vegas around that time.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight prices for late March

I just booked rt last week on delta, JFK for $400. Going mar 13-17. Last year I paid $300 but I booked in early jan. try kayak they may give you better choices

New York
Level Contributor
877 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight prices for late March

I didn't think of March Madness. Schools are off that week too. Area of the 22nd-31st is about when I am off. Hate the fact that airlines can just boost prices so high.

New York
Level Contributor
877 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight prices for late March

and that was from Kayak

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight prices for late March

March Madness is only. A factor in hotel rates it does not affect airfare. However Easter is a family holiday and most kids are off school for a week, making it prime vacation time.

Just to know I feel your pain, we are paying the highest airfare home from Vegas Friday 29th in at least 25 years. Or since Southwest started flying.

I don't think there is any way around it short of moving your dates.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,089 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight prices for late March

"March Madness is only. A factor in hotel rates it does not affect airfare. "

Of course it does. All of those folks coming out to watch the tournament and fill up the hotels aren't driving.

Looking at Thursday - Sunday that weekend there are no discount advanced-purchase seats left anywhere coming out of NYC, on any airline. That's why the OP can't find a cheap ticket.

New York
Level Contributor
877 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight prices for late March

ive been able to locate a few deals slightly less than 400 where the layover is minimal...I might go with those

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight prices for late March

Irish: There are great rates flying into Vegas during March Madness. We are paying 1/2 the rate to fly in. It is flying ANYWHERE on Easter weekend that is expensive. There have been 2 major sales on Southwest, but that Fri-Sun has been blacked out on both of them.

Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight prices for late March

Overall with less compettition the airfares has risen, plus March madness & Spring Break adds to the cost.

10. Re: Flight prices for late March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 06:17